Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hybridisation in chemistry

1. Jan 11, 2016 #1
    I just read what is hybridization its features and all. My textbook has a statement that hybrid orbital makes a stronger covalent bond than the old atomic orbitals but this can only be happen when hybrid orbital has less energy than the any of mixing orbitals. So is it true?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In a nutshell? Yes.

4. Jan 11, 2016 #3
    I didn't get you

5. Jan 15, 2016 #4

James Pelezo

Gold Member

The term 'Hybridization' simply means blending different systems with different properties to form homogeneous systems with equivalent properties. One way to think of this is in terms of blending different fruits in mixing blender to form a homogeneous smoothie. In terms of changing an elements valence shell structure, think of it as taking the s and p orbitals of the ground state valence shell and placing them into a blender and then separating the mix into several equal portions. All of the mixture portions are equivalent in appearance and properties. The hybrids are now ready to form covalent bonds or appropriate numbers of diamagnetic non-bonded pairs of electrons dictated by the number and types of electron pairs associated with the final ground state molecular configuration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook