Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Hybridization @___@

1. Feb 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. What atomic orbital/orbitals are available for bonding for S (Sulfur) and F (Fluorine)?
    2. How many electrons are in an orbital formed from the overlapping of two atomic orbitals, which are different?

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. For this question, I inferred that only one P orbital was available for bonding in Fluroine, since it is in group 17 and whatnot. As for Sulfur, I'm guessing that 1 s and 1 p orbital would only be available; but then again, this question is quite confusing.

2. For this question, don't the answers vary? Doesn't it depend on what two atomic orbitals your overlapping with?

Sorry, I know these questions are a bit confusing; the whole quantum idea is crazy! :S

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2010 #2
    What compound are you looking at?

The compound that comes to mind is that of SF6 in which you will need to invoke d orbitals as well. That would be the so called "sp3d2" hybridization; but don't tell a quantum field theorist...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook