1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hybridization of Oxygen?

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    This isn't a homework problem, but rather a question that I thought about. Given a Formaldehyde [itex]CH_{2}O[/itex] molecule, what would the hybridization of the oxygen atom be?

I know that the hybridization of the carbon atom would be:

[itex]C = \frac{\uparrow}{2sp^{2}} \frac{\uparrow}{2sp^{2}} \frac{\uparrow}{2sp^{2}} \frac{\uparrow}{2p}[/itex]

I also know that given the double bond between carbon and oxygen, a sigma bond and pi bond will be required. As thus, this is what made me think about the configuration of oxygen's orbitals. If oxygen only makes 2 bonds, then what does that imply about its hybridization? Is it sp hybridization? Does it even hybridize?

[itex]O = \frac{\uparrow\downarrow}{2sp} \frac{\uparrow\downarrow}{2sp} \frac{\uparrow}{2p} \frac{\uparrow}{2p}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

Hybridization of Oxygen is sp2. You know that the no of valence electrons in Oxygen atom is 6.

One is used to make a sigma bond. (1) Two are lone pairs (1 + 1 = 2) and one is used for pi bond. Total hybrid orbitals required = 3. And sp2 has 3 hybrid orbitals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook