1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hybridization of sulfur

1. Oct 18, 2013 #1

Qube

Gold Member

Hybridization of carbon

Pretty sure my professor is wrong once again.

me8y6yge.jpg

SO2 should have two double bonds which gives the sulfur a minimal formal charge and two signs bonds. The two sigma bonds imply sp hybridization, not the blatantly wrong circled answer.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2013 #2
    How many valence electrons does sulfur has? What is the structure of SO2?

The attached question is about C2H2, but the circled answer is wrong. The hybridisation is sp for carbon in C2H2.

4. Oct 18, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's fortunate that your professor has you around to keep him straight.

5. Oct 18, 2013 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

I am quite tired of repeating here in the forum that atoms don't "have" a certain hybridization in a given molecule over and over.
    Acetylene can perfectly well be described both in terms of sp and sp3 hybrids. In the latter case, the bonds are called descriptively "banana bonds". The energetic difference is usually minute between alternative hybridization schemes in valence bond theory and can only be evaluated using dedicated VB programs.
    In the case of SO2, it is not even necessary to involve hybridization: The bonds to the two oxygens can be explained using two of the p orbitals of sulphur alone.

6. Oct 18, 2013 #5

Qube

Gold Member

Whoops, I was thinking of another question. Yes, the circled answer is still wrong since in the case of the hydrocarbon in the picture the carbon has a hybridization of sp2; there are two bonds with hydrogen and one triple bond between the carbons, giving us a total of 3 sigma bonds.

7. Oct 18, 2013 #6

Qube

Gold Member

I won't be having him around any longer; I think his job security is decreasing by the day (answer?)

8. Oct 18, 2013 #7

Qube

Gold Member

You lost me at banana bond.

I do understand that hybridization is a model for explaining phenomenon such as the fact carbon forms four bonds instead of two, and that models don't always translate perfectly to the real world, just as the Bohr atom model is still used to explain things even though the model is overly simplistic (or simply incorrect).

9. Oct 18, 2013 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take it easy. in C2H2, the hybridization of C is sp, The molecule is linear (no free electrons) and between the 2 C atoms there's a triple bond.

10. Oct 18, 2013 #9

Qube

Gold Member

You're right sorry I keep thinking of C2H4.

11. Oct 18, 2013 #10

DrDu

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted