1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulic break problem

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    A car service station uses a hydraulic car lift, the diameter of its pistons are 0.02 m and 0.32 m calculate the pressure required to raise a car of mass 1800 KG
    I don't know how to get the area ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Key words: piston, diameter

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3
    Area = pi times diameter square over 4?? And I'm gonna put the diameter of the larger pistol eh?

5. Nov 2, 2012 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The larger diameter piston supports the weight of the car. The problem is asking you how much pressure must be applied to the smaller piston (assuming the smaller and larger pistons are connected hydraulically) to support the weight of the car.

6. Nov 3, 2012 #5
    The pressure on the small piston is equal to the pressure of the large piston so I'm gonna calculate the pressure of the large piston by the rule F/A force =mg where g is the force of gravity and area = pi diameter square over 4 ?

7. Nov 3, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sure, but I note that you don't need to know the smaller diameter for that. I would have expected the question to ask for the force needed. Maybe it asks for that later?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook