Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulic design advise needed

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    Hi,
    I want to use a hydraulic cylinder to move another hydraulic cylinder but I dont want moving the 2nd cylinder to as easily move the 1st (doesnt have to be impossible, just harder). The system would be light duty and using large or heavy components wouldn't be appropriate. If there is some known circuit that can do this I would much appreciate the help.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2011 #2
    Please rephrase your question. I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.
    If possible, post a sketch.

4. Sep 4, 2011 #3
    To rephrase:

Two hydraulic cylinders connected so that if one moves, the other moves. There is some type of flow control or clutch system so that one cylinder moves the other easily but vice versa more force is required. I hope that makes more sense.

Attached Files:

5. Sep 5, 2011 #4
    Do they need to be the same size?

6. Sep 5, 2011 #5
    Hi. No they could be different. I should have said work though rather than force, otherwise I'd just use mechanical leverage. If the first cylinder is attached to an operating lever and the second cylinder is attached to a steering wheel, I dont want the steering wheel to have free reign and bully the lever. Power assist is not practical (size/weight/power source) and I am worried flow actuators at the lever would let the steering wheel suddenly bully the lever when actuated.

7. Sep 6, 2011 #6
    I'm still not getting it. You say, "If the first cylinder is attached to an operating lever..." Do you mean that cylinder 1 is actuated by a lever, or when the cylinder is actuated it moves a lever? Similarly, is cylinder 2 actuated by a steering wheel, or is the movement of cylinder 2 turning the wheel?

Ignoring cylinder 2 for the moment, what function is cylinder 1 performing?
    Ignoring cylinder 1, what function is cylinder 2 performing?

8. Sep 6, 2011 #7
    You could increase the diameter on the piston that you want to limit the movement in. The smaller one has to move a greater distance to move the larger. x movement in the large is 2x movement in the small and vice versa.

Is this what you wanted?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook