Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulic lauch systems

1. Feb 5, 2005 #1
    Hi,

I am a young 19 old student engineer soon to begin university after a summer break. As I have a love for thrill and engineering advancements I would very appreciative if you can help me with my request.

Basically, having followed the progression of the rollar coater launch systems over the past few year, I have always wondered how the hydraulic launch system (combined with nitrogen) actually achieves such great speeds in just a few seconds. I have tried to use calculations but I cannot prove it, therefore is it possible that anyone may know the calculations and demonstrate to me that the figures are possible using a hydraulic system-the more technical the calcualtions the better i.e. size of pistons, volume of nitrogen etc.

Many thanks

Regards

Jag man

I hope you can help, many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2005 #2

minger

Science Advisor

I'm not sure about those type of launch systems, but I happen to live near Cedar Point, and I do know that some of the quick launch coasters there use magnets and stuff like that. Similar to Mag-Lev trains if I recall correctly.

Also, would it be possible to use theoretical rail gun concepts to propel a coaster? Your projectile would simply be the car (or a piece of metal under it), and you would have two "rails" on either side of it. Not sure if maybe it would be dangerous with the high Voltages though.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?