How Does a Hydraulic Lift Work with Different Piston Sizes?

In summary, the problem involves a hydraulic lift with two connected pistons of different cross-sectional areas, filled with oil of density 620 kg/m3. Part A requires finding the mass needed on the smaller piston to support a car of mass 1600 kg with equal fluid levels. Part B involves a person of mass 80 kg getting into the car while in balance. The equilibrium height difference in the fluid levels in the pistons must be determined. Part C asks for the amount the car drops when the person gets in, taking into account the principle of the incompressibility of fluids. The calculated height comes out to be 0.109m, but there may be alternative methods such as using the work equation.
Pat2666
Okay, so I'm stuck on the last part of the problem :

A hydraulic lift has two connected pistons with cross-sectional areas 15 cm2 and 430 cm2. It is filled with oil of density 620 kg/m3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a) What mass must be placed on the small piston to support a car of mass 1600 kg at equal fluid levels?

kg *
55.8 OK

b) With the lift in balance with equal fluid levels, a person of mass 80 kg gets into the car. What is the equilibrium height difference in the fluid levels in the pistons?

m *
3.02 OK

c) How much did the height of the car drop when the person got in the car?

m

HELP: The fluid is incompressible, so volume is conserved.
HELP: Remember, one side will go up and one side will go down. The difference you calculated in part (b) was the sum of those two changes.

Okay, so I managed to find out the first two parts of the problem but I'm having trouble with Part C. Any way I attempt either comes out to the answer for B, or is just wrong. Since it mentioned that the volume is the same I thought that maybe the volumes of the cylindrical area displaced for each piston would be equal to one another (as you will see below). However, I came up with 0.109m as the height that the car moved, but it was wrong. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what I might be missing completely. Any help would be greatly apprciated :)

My work :

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7595/workns5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your result looks fine to me. Another approach is Work-in=Work-out.

F1d1=F2d2

(3.02)(55.8)(9.80)= X(1680)(9.8)

X= .1003 m

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can provide some insight into the problem and help you find the solution for Part C. First, it is important to understand the concept of Pascal's Law, which states that pressure applied to a confined fluid is transmitted equally in all directions. In the case of a hydraulic lift, this means that the pressure applied to the smaller piston will be transmitted to the larger piston.

In order to solve Part C, we need to consider the volume of the fluid displaced by the smaller piston when the person gets into the car. This volume will be equal to the volume of the fluid displaced by the larger piston, which will cause the car to drop.

Using the formula for volume of a cylinder (V=πr^2h), we can calculate the volume of the fluid displaced by the smaller piston:

V = π(0.075m)^2(0.109m) = 0.00265m^3

Since the volume of the fluid is conserved, this volume will also be displaced by the larger piston, causing the car to drop. We can use the same formula to solve for the height (h) of the car drop:

0.00265m^3 = π(0.215m)^2h

h = 0.00383m

Therefore, the height of the car dropped when the person got in is 0.00383m, or 3.83mm.

I hope this helps you understand the problem better and find the correct solution for Part C. Keep in mind the concept of Pascal's Law and the conservation of volume in order to solve these types of problems. Good luck!

1. What is a hydraulic lift?

A hydraulic lift is a machine that uses pressurized fluids to lift heavy objects. It consists of a pump, a cylinder, and a piston. The pump forces fluid into the cylinder, which then pushes the piston up, lifting the object.

2. How does a hydraulic lift work?

A hydraulic lift works on the principle of Pascal's law, which states that pressure exerted on a confined fluid is transmitted equally in all directions. When force is applied to the smaller piston, it creates pressure, which is transmitted to the larger piston. This results in a larger force being exerted, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

3. What are the advantages of using a hydraulic lift?

One major advantage of using a hydraulic lift is its ability to lift heavy objects with a relatively small amount of force. It also allows for precise control over the lifting process and is relatively easy to operate. Additionally, it can operate without electricity and is considered to be a more environmentally friendly option compared to other lifting mechanisms.

4. What are some common applications of hydraulic lifts?

Hydraulic lifts are commonly used in automotive repair shops, warehouses, and construction sites to lift heavy objects such as vehicles, machinery, and building materials. They are also used in elevators, aircrafts, and other transportation systems.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a hydraulic lift?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be followed when using a hydraulic lift. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain the lift to ensure it is functioning properly. Also, proper training should be provided to operators to prevent accidents. It is also important to follow weight limits and never overload the lift. Additionally, safety features such as emergency shut-off valves and pressure release valves should be in place in case of emergencies.