1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulic Lift (Fluids)

1. Jun 19, 2008 #1
    Okay, so I'm stuck on the last part of the problem :

A hydraulic lift has two connected pistons with cross-sectional areas 15 cm2 and 430 cm2. It is filled with oil of density 620 kg/m3.

a) What mass must be placed on the small piston to support a car of mass 1600 kg at equal fluid levels?

kg *
    55.8 OK

b) With the lift in balance with equal fluid levels, a person of mass 80 kg gets into the car. What is the equilibrium height difference in the fluid levels in the pistons?

m *
    3.02 OK

c) How much did the height of the car drop when the person got in the car?

HELP: The fluid is incompressible, so volume is conserved.
    HELP: Remember, one side will go up and one side will go down. The difference you calculated in part (b) was the sum of those two changes.

Okay, so I managed to find out the first two parts of the problem but I'm having trouble with Part C. Any way I attempt either comes out to the answer for B, or is just wrong. Since it mentioned that the volume is the same I thought that maybe the volumes of the cylindrical area displaced for each piston would be equal to one another (as you will see below). However, I came up with 0.109m as the height that the car moved, but it was wrong. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what I might be missing completely. Any help would be greatly apprciated :)

My work :

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2008 #2
    Your result looks fine to me. Another approach is Work-in=Work-out.

(3.02)(55.8)(9.80)= X(1680)(9.8)

X= .1003 m
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?