1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulic lift/Pressure

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Piston 1 in Figure P9.24 has a diameter of 0.32 in.; Piston 2 has a diameter of 2.0 in. In the absence of friction, determine the force, , necessary to support the 500 lb weight.

Picture
    http://www.webassign.net/sf/p9_24.gif

2. Relevant equations

F1=(A1/A2)F2
    A=pi*r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved for F1 using the above equation and got 12.8. THIS IS WRONG Is this because the column of fluid is higher in the larger piston? So i have to factor in the weight of the higher water as well? Can someone please point me in the correct direction?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

you got the force that the piston at 1 exerts upwards... what force does the hand need to exert to keep the piston from moving.. use torque.

4. Nov 5, 2007 #3
    torque=rF

would the radius be from the hand to the center of piston 1?

5. Nov 5, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

you want the torque about the point next to the piston 2. so torque due to the F force is F*12.0in clockwise... what is the torque due to the pressure force...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?