Applying Pascal's Law to a Hydraulic Lift Problem

In summary, Pascal's law states that pressure is inversely proportional to the height of the barometer's mercury.
djc88
i'm having difficulty with part C of this problem.

A hydraulic lift has two connected pistons with cross-sectional
areas 25 cm2 and 430 cm2. It is filled with oil of density 500 kg/m3.

a) What mass must be placed on the small piston to support a car of mass 1300 kg at equal fluid levels? (answer: 75.58kg)

b) With the lift in balance with equal fluid levels, a person of mass 60 kg gets into the car. What is the equilibrium height difference in the fluid levels in the pistons? (Answer= 2.8m)

c) How much did the height of the car drop when the person got in the car? ?

please help. my rationale thus far is that volume is conserved. could anyone direct me in applying the right concept? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
please help. my rationale thus far is that volume is conserved. could anyone direct me in applying the right concept? thanks.

If your rationale is correct how was the mass accommodated? What changes are there to the density of the oil or the amount of force at the opposite piston?

Tzemach said:
If your rationale is correct how was the mass accommodated? What changes are there to the density of the oil or the amount of force at the opposite piston?

there are no changes to the density of the oil. the force is what I'm confused about. since on the opposite end, no additional mass is added, is the force acting upon that piston equivalent to part a? or do i have to find the new force, F2=F(A1/A2); where F=1360kg (mass of the car +person). I've tried this problem a million different ways (feels like), perhaps I'm rounding incorrectly.

i know that if piston 1 drops by a certain amount, piston 2 will rise proportionally in volume... the answer i keep getting is ~0.17 meters. which isn't correct...

Let's call the mass acting on the smaller piston M1. (M1=75.58 kg, if it's correct)
Let's call the mass of the person M2.

You have to consider that the total volume of oil remains constant.
So, if a volume of oil in the big cylinder (car side) goes down because of the added mass of the person, the same volume of oil will go up in the other cylinder. You can calculate the relation between the two volumes because you know the areas of the two pistons.
The new equlibrium requires that (eliminating "g" constant on both sides):

M2 + mass of the volume of oil in the big cylinder =
= M1 + mass of the volume of oil in the small cylinder.

Take care of the signs (one of the oil levels goes down, the other up).

djc88 said:

(The density of oil does not change.)

Do you remember on what principle the barometer works? Remember Pascal's law?

What is a hydraulic lift problem?

A hydraulic lift problem refers to a situation in which there is an imbalance in the fluid pressure within a hydraulic lift system, leading to difficulties in lifting or lowering objects.

What are the common causes of hydraulic lift problems?

The most common causes of hydraulic lift problems include air in the hydraulic fluid, leakages in the system, inadequate maintenance, and worn-out or damaged components.

How can hydraulic lift problems be diagnosed?

Hydraulic lift problems can be diagnosed by checking for visible leaks, testing the pressure within the system, and inspecting the various components for wear and tear. Specialized diagnostic tools may also be used.

What steps can be taken to prevent hydraulic lift problems?

To prevent hydraulic lift problems, regular maintenance and inspections should be conducted, any leaks should be promptly repaired, and the system should be operated within its recommended parameters. Additionally, using high-quality hydraulic fluid and keeping the system clean can also help prevent problems.

When should a professional be consulted for hydraulic lift problems?

If the issue cannot be identified or resolved through basic troubleshooting, it is recommended to consult a professional. Additionally, any major repairs or replacements should be carried out by a qualified technician.