1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulic Lift Problem.

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A hydraulic lift is used to jack a 970-kg car 12 cm off the floor. The diameter of the output piston is 18 cm, and the input force is 250 N. (A) What is the area of the input piston? (B) What is the work done in lifting the car 12 cm?

2. Relevant equations

Fo=mg m=mass of car g=gravity

3. The attempt at a solution

Do I just need to solve for x to find solution "A". I am also having trouble getting started with "B", do I need to find "A" first?

Also, sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot. I am new to this and didn't really know how to go about posting. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2
    I have start on "B"

W=(F2)(y)= ??

y=.12 m

Do I solve for F2?
  4. Dec 9, 2009 #3

Homework Helper

Since you used 0.18^2 on the other side of the equation and 0.18 is a diameter, the x in x^2 would also represent diameter.
    No. There's a very simple formula for the energy it takes to lift an object against gravity.
  5. Dec 10, 2009 #4
    For "B"...would the simple formula be (970)(9.8)(.12)? therefore 1140.72 J correct?
  6. Dec 10, 2009 #5

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook