Calculating Work and Input Force for a Hydraulic Lift

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a hydraulic lift to jack a car off the floor and the calculation of the input force and work done in lifting the car. The input force is determined using the formula Fi/Ai=Fo/Ao and the work done is calculated using the formula W=(F2)(y), where y is the distance lifted. The final answer for the work done is 1140.72 J.
jaco9115

Homework Statement

A hydraulic lift is used to jack a 970-kg car 12 cm off the floor. The diameter of the output piston is 18 cm, and the input force is 250 N. (A) What is the area of the input piston? (B) What is the work done in lifting the car 12 cm?

Homework Equations

Fo=mg m=mass of car g=gravity

Fi/Ai=Fo/Ao

The Attempt at a Solution

250N/Ai=mg/Ao

250N/x^2=mg/.18^2

Do I just need to solve for x to find solution "A". I am also having trouble getting started with "B", do I need to find "A" first?

Also, sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot. I am new to this and didn't really know how to go about posting. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have start on "B"

W=(F2)(y)= ??

y=.12 m

Do I solve for F2?

jaco9115 said:
Do I just need to solve for x to find solution "A".

Since you used 0.18^2 on the other side of the equation and 0.18 is a diameter, the x in x^2 would also represent diameter.
I am also having trouble getting started with "B", do I need to find "A" first?

No. There's a very simple formula for the energy it takes to lift an object against gravity.

For "B"...would the simple formula be (970)(9.8)(.12)? therefore 1140.72 J correct?

Yup.

1. What is a hydraulic lift?

A hydraulic lift is a machine that uses hydraulic fluid to lift or lower heavy objects. It works by using the principle of Pascal's law, which states that pressure exerted on a confined fluid is transmitted equally in all directions.

2. How does a hydraulic lift work?

A hydraulic lift works by using a pump to push hydraulic fluid into a cylinder. This creates pressure, which is transmitted through the fluid to a larger cylinder with a smaller surface area. The pressure in the larger cylinder is greater, allowing it to lift a heavier load.

3. What are the components of a hydraulic lift?

A hydraulic lift typically consists of a pump, a valve, a cylinder with a piston, and hydraulic fluid. Some lifts may also have additional components such as a reservoir, motor, and control system.

4. What are the advantages of using a hydraulic lift?

Hydraulic lifts have several advantages, including their ability to lift heavy objects with relatively small amounts of force, their smooth and precise movement, and their ability to operate in a variety of environments. They also do not require a lot of maintenance and have a long lifespan.

5. What are the common problems with hydraulic lifts?

Some common problems with hydraulic lifts include leaks in the hydraulic fluid, air in the system, and malfunctioning components such as the pump or valve. Regular maintenance and proper use can help prevent these issues. It is important to address any problems promptly to avoid potential safety hazards.