Calculating Force: F_1 vs. F_2

• Thread starter Gmaximus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. To calculate the net force in a system, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on an object in different directions. The direction of a force can be determined by drawing a vector diagram and using the right-hand rule. F<sub>1</sub> and F<sub>2</sub> are two different forces acting on an object in a system, and they may have different magnitudes and directions. Yes, force can be negative, indicating that it is acting in the opposite direction of the positive direction.
Gmaximus
[tex]F_1=x[/tex]
[tex]F_2=4000lbs[/tex]
[tex]A_1=1.5 in[/tex]
[tex]A_2=21 in[/tex]

So, i did:
[tex]F_1=1.5/21 * 4000[/tex]

Gave me 280 pounds.
My book, however, disagrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but what is the problem??

Start with [tex]\frac{F_1}{A_1}=\frac{F_2}{A_2}[/tex]

never mind guys, i did it right. The book was wrong.

The problem was solve for X.

Thanks anyway!

I wish someone would give me 280 pounds!

1. What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How do you calculate the net force in a system?

To calculate the net force in a system, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on an object in different directions. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity.

3. How do you determine the direction of a force?

The direction of a force can be determined by drawing a vector diagram and using the right-hand rule. The direction of the force will be in the same direction as the arrow on the vector, which is the direction the force is acting.

4. What is the difference between F1 and F2?

F1 and F2 are two different forces acting on an object in a system. F1 is the first force and F2 is the second force. They may have different magnitudes and directions, and can either be in the same direction or in opposite directions.

5. Can force be negative?

Yes, force can be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive direction. For example, if a force is acting in the negative x-axis, it means it is acting in the opposite direction of the positive x-axis.