Calculating Height Difference h of Hydraulic System Pistons

In summary, the conversation discusses a hydraulic system with two pistons of different diameters and masses, connected at the bottom with a fluid of density 750 kg/m3. The question is to find the height difference between the two pistons. Through the use of equations for pressure and no flow condition, the height difference is calculated to be approximately 3.55 meters. The conversation also mentions a mistake in the initial calculation that is corrected.
mikep
In a hydraulic system the piston on the left has a diameter of 4.5 cm and a mass of 1.7 kg. The piston on the right has a diameter of 12 cm and a mass of 2.5 kg. If the density of the fluid is 750 kg/m3, what is the height difference h between the two pistons?
can someone please help me with this?
[tex]A_1 = (3.14)(0.045m/2)^2 = 0.000506m^2[/tex]
[tex]A_2 = (3.14)(0.12m/2)^2 = 0.0036m^2[/tex]
[tex]P_1 = mg/A_1 = (1.7kg)(9.8N/kg)/0.00506m^2 = 32924.9[/tex]
[tex]P_2 = mg/A_2 = (2.5kg)(9.8N/kg)/0.0036m^2 = 6805.56[/tex]
[tex]P_1 - P_2 = (\rho)(h)(g)[/tex]
[tex]h = (P_1 - P_2)/(\rho)(g)[/tex]
[tex]h = 3.55m[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
What help do you need? You have the right answer.

I assume that the cylinders are connected at the bottom and the fluid is not flowing through that connection. This means that the pressure at the bottom of each cylinder is the same. Since the pressure at the bottom of each is:

[tex]P = F/A = (mg + \rho Vg)/A[/tex] where V = volume = hA

the condition for no flow is:

[tex]P_1 = P_2[/tex] so:

[tex]m_1g/A_1 + \rho h_1g = m_2g/A_2 + \rho h_2g[/tex]

[tex]m_1/A_1 + \rho h_1 = m_2/A_2 + \rho h_2[/tex]

[tex]m_1/A_1 - m_2/A_2 = \rho (h_2 - h_1)[/tex]

[tex]\Delta h = (m_1/A_1 - m_2/A_2)/\rho)[/tex]

AM

are you sure cause i got the answer wrong so i thought i did something wrong. i think i made a wrong assumetion somewhere

Last edited:
mikep said:
are you sure cause i got the answer wrong so i thought i did something wrong. i think i made a wrong assumetion somewhere

I was using your values for area of the pistons, but I see that you forgot to multiply by [itex]\pi[/itex]. So divide your answer by 3.14 (1.13 m).

AM

oh and i had it setup right too. thanks

1. How do I calculate the height difference h of hydraulic system pistons?

To calculate the height difference h, you need to determine the difference in the positions of the pistons in the hydraulic system. This can be done by measuring the initial position of the pistons and then measuring their final position after the hydraulic system has been activated. The difference between these two measurements is the height difference h.

2. What units should I use when calculating the height difference h of hydraulic system pistons?

The units used to calculate the height difference h will depend on the units used for the initial and final positions of the pistons. It is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation, such as inches or centimeters. If necessary, you can convert between units using conversion factors.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the height difference h of hydraulic system pistons?

The height difference h is an important measurement in hydraulic systems because it indicates the amount of force that is being applied to the system. By knowing the height difference, you can determine the pressure and force being exerted on the pistons, which can help with troubleshooting and maintenance.

4. Are there any factors that may affect the accuracy of the calculated height difference h?

Yes, there are several factors that may affect the accuracy of the calculated height difference h. These include errors in measurement, variations in the hydraulic system components, and changes in temperature or pressure. It is important to take all of these factors into consideration when calculating the height difference.

5. Can I use the calculated height difference h to determine the efficiency of a hydraulic system?

The height difference h alone cannot determine the efficiency of a hydraulic system. However, it is an important measurement that can be used in conjunction with other factors, such as flow rate and force, to determine the efficiency of the system. It is important to consider all relevant factors when assessing the efficiency of a hydraulic system.