Hydraulic pedal drive system

In summary, the designer is considering adding a gear driven hydraulic pump to a kayak to power a propeller. There are two problems with the design - firstly, hydraulic oil does not go well in water, and secondly, to move the pedals your knees will have to rise and fall. The designer is considering using a brake reservoir with the system for expansion.
Okefenokee
I was thinking about adding a pedal powered propeller to a kayak and I had an idea:Use a hydraulic pump/motor combo to simplify the design. That way I could have the pedals in front of me and easily route some hydraulic lines to a propeller in the back.

I came across this gear driven hydraulic pump at Northern tools. It weighs less than 7 lbs which is nice. I was wondering if it would be possible to use two of these pumps together with one driving the other. It seems like it should work. The pedals could drive one pump and the other will act as a motor.

I'm worried that the pump will not work as a motor. A gear driven pump should be able to act as motor, correct?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Okefenokee said:
A gear driven pump should be able to act as motor, correct?
Yes, that is correct.

I see two big problems. Firstly; hydraulic oil does not go well in water, environmentally. Secondly; to move the pedals your knees will have to rise and fall which is not really possible in most kayaks.

An oil filled hydraulic system requires a reservoir tank to allow for thermal expansion and oil use. You would need to use a closed oil safe rubber bladder to avoid spilling oil or mixing water into the oil.

So, how to improve the design, reduce the weight and eliminate the oil? If you took water into your pedal pump you could eject it backwards through a nozzle and so get jet propulsion. That would eliminate the motor and the external propeller.

Two cylinders would balance the load on your two legs without a need for gearing. If the pump was composed of two plastic and or rubber cylinders, each with one-way plastic flap or ball valves then you would eliminate corrosion. The steel pump you link to would corrode rapidly if used with water.

Pressing pedals will push you against the seat back.
So that leaves the problem of your knees hitting the kayak deck.

I have a sit-on-top kayak. No worries for my knees. Also, I have an old broken bike and an itch to do some welding.

I was thinking about using a brake reservoir with the system for expansion. The only problem is that I would like to be able to reverse the prop too. I would need a fancy check valve system to keep the reservoir on the low pressure side. I could live without reverse though.

I do like the idea of just using clean water as the hydraulic fluid. That would eliminate any oily messes.

Dubious assumption: adding hydraulics simplifies things.

What is a hydraulic pedal drive system?

A hydraulic pedal drive system is a propulsion system used in boats or watercrafts that uses hydraulic pressure to rotate a propeller or paddle. It allows users to pedal instead of using traditional methods of propulsion such as paddling or motor power.

How does a hydraulic pedal drive system work?

A hydraulic pedal drive system consists of a hydraulic cylinder, a hydraulic pump, and a propeller or paddle. When the user pedals, the hydraulic cylinder compresses, creating hydraulic pressure that is used to rotate the propeller or paddle, propelling the boat forward.

What are the advantages of a hydraulic pedal drive system?

There are several advantages to using a hydraulic pedal drive system. It offers a more efficient and comfortable way to propel a boat, as the user is able to use their leg muscles instead of their arms. It also allows for smoother and quieter propulsion, making it ideal for fishing or wildlife observation. Additionally, it is environmentally friendly as it does not emit any pollutants.

What types of boats can use a hydraulic pedal drive system?

A hydraulic pedal drive system is most commonly used in kayaks, canoes, and other small watercrafts. However, it can also be used in larger boats such as fishing boats or recreational boats.

Are there any drawbacks to using a hydraulic pedal drive system?

One potential drawback of a hydraulic pedal drive system is its initial cost, as it can be more expensive than traditional methods of propulsion. It also requires regular maintenance and may be more complex to repair. Additionally, it may not be suitable for use in shallow or rocky waters.