Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulic press brake ?

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    Hi all, I am designing a Hydraulic press brake to air bend up to 4 feet of 1/8 in mild steel.
    I know it will take 11 tons of force per foot of material, 44 ton to do the trick.
    A 60 ton jack will cost over $1000, where 3-20 ton jacks are $40 each.
    My question, if I evenly space the 3 20 ton jacks along the 4 foot length & connect them so they all jack at the same time, will there be 60 ton of force applied to the work.

I have been searching for days, then came across this site which answered my question but not with enough certainty for me to proceed with the project.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2013 #2
    Im going to buy the material today, I guess I'll just have to hope it works.

4. Feb 25, 2013 #3
    In the simplest terms, possibly. There are myriad variables in play.

IMHO, you're going to have problems keeping three independent jacks at equal pressure during the bend. You may need to bottom-bend to get a consistent result. (Bottom-bending also requires much greater tonnage.)

5. Feb 26, 2013 #4
    Thanks for the input pantaz, I decided to hold off & re-think this project, I have been estimating material size thickness for the "H" frame of the press, "I" beam I planned on using is likley not up to the job either. With all the time & money involved failure is not an option.

Jim

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook