1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulic press

1. Nov 14, 2003 #1
    Ok, it's a two part question, i did the first part with no problem, which is how much force it takes to hold an object on the other end up, knowing the diameters and the mass of the object, i just used F1/A1 = F2/A2. Now, the 2nd part asks how much force is needed to support the object at a certain height. I have no idea how to put height into it. Anyone know? thanks in advance.

Tell me if u need me to post the exact problem

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2003 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Post the exact problem. Part 2 doesn't seem to make sense.

4. Nov 14, 2003 #3
    um wow, i just realized from typing the problem out, i been missing some given data, about the density of the oil in the lift. um, i think i got it now, you just calculated the mass that need to be lifted including the mass of the oil in the cylinder of the height needed to lift right?

5. Nov 14, 2003 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I think you've got it. Let me restate it. Piston 1 is at height 0; piston 2 is at height H. The pressure at height 0 must support the column of oil (of height H) plus the added weight. Then apply F1/A1 = Pressureh=0.

6. Nov 14, 2003 #5
    alright, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?