Hydraulic pressure resistance

In summary, the easiest way to measure hydrostatic pressure resistance is to attach paper sheets to a column of water and pump air into the top of the column until the paper breaks.
DAVID DIAZ DIAZ
I need to build a customized hydraulic pressure resistance tester in the lab. The idea is to measure easily but with a good reliability the resistance to hydraulic pressure (either external pressure on the water drops or the pressure caused by a column of water for example) of different paper surfaces. The commercial available testers in the market are very expensive, so any suggestion would be very appreciated.

Thank you very much, DDD.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean hydrostatic pressure?
That is what column height of water a material can support - as quoted on expensive waterproofs?

Easiest way is probably a very tall plastic tube full of water with a scale on the side.
If you don't have a high enough room then a shorter tube, sealed at the top and a bike pump to presurise the air above the column of water would probably work.

Thanks!

Yes, my aim is to improve the hydrostatic pressure resistance of different paper coatings, and I need an easy method to compare this resistance for different paper sheets.

If I understand you well you would attached somehow the paper sheets to the bottom of the column with some container bellow, and then fill the column with water from the top and see when the paper is broken? maybe I missunderstand your design.

Would it be possible you send me by email a quick draw of the system you have in mind? ddiazdiazster@gmail.com

The paper surface is superhydrophobic. However, the external pressure on a drop of water (or a column of water) can destroy the superhydrophobic property and then the water will penetrate into the paper. So, what I'm trying to do is to compare different paper surfaces and see which one is more resistan to the water pressure.

DAVID DIAZ DIAZ said:
If I understand you well you would attached somehow the paper sheets to the bottom of the column with some container bellow, and then fill the column with water from the top and see when the paper is broken?
Yes, that's the system used to test waterproof clothing material ( I live in Vancouver!), you stretch a piece of the material over the open bottom end of the tube and hold it in place wiht a clamp. You then fill the column until it leaks. Of course you might need a column several metres high so a more practical arrangement is a 1m high column with a sealed top and an air space above the water, you can pump compressed air into the top to increase the effective water pressure.

I live in Switzerland! so I guess the waterproof clothing idustry here would love also the idea!

My only doubt is how to accurate control the water pressure. I guess I can find some pump compressed air that give me a lecture of the pressure I'm applying ...

Thanks!
DDD

Each extra bar ( atmosphere) of pressure is equal to 9.8m height of water.
You probably only need something like a car foot pump with a pressure guage.

Thank you!
DDD

1. What is hydraulic pressure resistance?

Hydraulic pressure resistance is the force exerted by a fluid against an object or surface that is blocking its flow. It is a measure of how much pressure is needed to push the fluid through a system.

2. What factors affect hydraulic pressure resistance?

There are several factors that can affect hydraulic pressure resistance, including the viscosity of the fluid, the size and shape of the object blocking the flow, and the velocity of the fluid.

3. How is hydraulic pressure resistance measured?

Hydraulic pressure resistance is typically measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa). This can be measured using specialized equipment such as pressure gauges or flow meters.

4. Why is hydraulic pressure resistance important in engineering?

Hydraulic pressure resistance plays a critical role in many engineering applications, such as in hydraulic systems and machines. Understanding and managing hydraulic pressure resistance is essential for ensuring the proper functioning and safety of these systems.

5. How can hydraulic pressure resistance be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce hydraulic pressure resistance, such as increasing the size of the fluid passageways, using more efficient pumps and valves, and using fluids with lower viscosity. Proper design and maintenance of hydraulic systems can also help reduce pressure resistance.