Hydraulic pump and eddy current

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a proposed design for a hydraulic pump that would generate an upward force from the forces of running. However, there are several factors that may affect the functionality of the design, such as the compressibility of hydraulic fluid, the weight of the apparatus, and the diameter of the connecting tube. Further testing and refinement may be needed to determine the feasibility of this idea.
robhlee
This kind of belongs to halfbakery.com, but it is down now.

(I found on archive.org that) hydraulic pump (like the kind used to lift cars) forces and the surface areas of the two ends works by the equation F1 = F2(A1/A2).
Say you had a .025 m^2 (end 1) surface on one end of a hydraulic pump and a .0009 m^2 (end 2) (Just remember end 1 is much larger than end 2).
On end 2 has the ability to run the length of say, .5-1 meter in a pipe (when end 1 is compressed) and there is a strong magnet on the surface end 2. At the end of this pipe is a copper section to facilitate eddy currents when end 1 is compressed and causes end 2 to volley the magnet up the pipe and the copper section of the pipe. End 1 is attached to your foot so that when you walked or ran your body weight compressed end 1, and end 2 and its pipe is securely ligatured to your back, so that any change in momentum is not expressed in the pipe independently of the you, the wearer (the pipe is strapped on really tight).
End 1 and end 2 are connected by a steel-braided tube or something pressure restrictive.

What I want to do with this is to generate an upward force from the forces of running. I have seen/heard that running exerts a force of up to three times your body weight. This force could be exerted on end 1 and the subsequent result would be force upwards on your body, because end 2 would be displaced very much and volley the magnet into the copper section.

What do yall think?

Here are some factors that would inhibit the functionality of this design that I can think of right now:
-weight of the apparatus and the magnitude of force generated by the eddy current reaction
-viscosity of the hydraulic fluid (would it facilitate near-instantaneous movement of the ends in when the force of running is applied?)
-will a smaller-diameter tube (relative to the diameters of both the ends' surfaces) connecting the two ends allow the appropriate/classic/formulaic (in first paragraph) translation of forces between the two ends (I think it would)?

I just want to see if the idea would work. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your idea with us. I am always interested in exploring new concepts and ideas, and I appreciate your enthusiasm for this design. However, there are a few factors that I would like to address that may affect the functionality of your proposed design.

Firstly, the equation you mentioned, F1 = F2(A1/A2), is known as Pascal's law and is commonly used in hydraulic systems. However, it is important to note that this equation assumes that the hydraulic fluid is incompressible. In reality, all fluids have some level of compressibility, and this could affect the accuracy of the equation and the resulting forces.

Secondly, the weight of the apparatus and the magnitude of force generated by the eddy current reaction are important factors to consider. As the force of running is exerted on end 1, it will also be exerted on the entire apparatus, including end 2. This could potentially lead to a significant increase in weight and make it difficult for the wearer to run comfortably.

Additionally, the viscosity of the hydraulic fluid is a crucial factor to consider. The faster the fluid can move through the system, the quicker the force can be transmitted from end 1 to end 2. However, if the fluid is too viscous, it may impede movement and affect the effectiveness of the design.

Lastly, the diameter of the connecting tube is also an important consideration. While a smaller diameter may allow for a more efficient transmission of forces, it could also increase the pressure within the system and potentially lead to leaks or other malfunctions.

In conclusion, while your idea is intriguing, it would require careful consideration and testing to determine its feasibility and potential limitations. I would encourage you to continue exploring and refining your design, and perhaps even conducting experiments to test its effectiveness. Thank you again for sharing your idea with us, and I wish you the best of luck in your scientific pursuits.

I find this idea interesting and innovative. It combines principles of fluid mechanics and electromagnetism to generate a force from the motion of the human body. However, there are several factors that need to be considered before determining whether this design would be effective.

Firstly, the weight of the apparatus and the magnitude of force generated by the eddy current reaction would be crucial in determining the overall effectiveness of this design. If the weight of the apparatus is too heavy, it could potentially cancel out the force generated by the eddy current reaction and make the design ineffective.

Secondly, the viscosity of the hydraulic fluid would also play a significant role. A highly viscous fluid would not facilitate near-instantaneous movement of the ends, which would be necessary for the design to work efficiently. The choice of hydraulic fluid would need to be carefully considered.

Lastly, the diameter of the tube connecting the two ends would also impact the effectiveness of this design. A smaller diameter tube may not be able to transfer the forces as efficiently as a larger diameter tube, which could affect the overall force generated.

Overall, while this idea has potential, it would require thorough testing and consideration of various factors to determine its feasibility. It would also be important to consider safety precautions and potential risks before implementing this design.

What is a hydraulic pump and how does it work?

A hydraulic pump is a mechanical device that converts mechanical power into hydraulic energy by pressurizing and circulating fluid. It works by using a rotating mechanism to create a vacuum at the pump inlet, which draws in fluid from a reservoir. The fluid is then pressurized and sent through the pump outlet to power various hydraulic components.

What are the different types of hydraulic pumps?

There are several types of hydraulic pumps, including gear pumps, vane pumps, and piston pumps. Gear pumps use meshing gears to pump fluid, while vane pumps use sliding vanes to create pressure. Piston pumps use reciprocating pistons to generate hydraulic power.

What is an eddy current and how does it affect hydraulic pumps?

An eddy current is a circular electrical current that is induced in a conductor when it moves through a magnetic field. In hydraulic pumps, eddy currents can be created when the pump's rotating components pass through a magnetic field. This can cause energy loss and decrease the efficiency of the pump.

How can eddy currents be minimized in hydraulic pumps?

Eddy currents can be minimized by using non-magnetic materials for the pump's rotating components and by designing the pump to reduce the amount of time the components spend in the magnetic field. Additionally, using laminated or insulated materials can also help reduce the effects of eddy currents.

What are some common applications of hydraulic pumps and eddy current technology?

Hydraulic pumps and eddy current technology are commonly used in various industries, such as automotive, aerospace, and construction. They are used in hydraulic systems to power machinery, vehicles, and equipment. Eddy current technology is also used in non-destructive testing, where it can detect defects in materials without causing damage.