Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulic pump/motor

1. Apr 14, 2015 #1
    hey people. literally just joined, hehehe
    my question is, can a hydraulic pump be used as a hydraulic motor. i have an idea and want to have it operating using hydraulics rather than having shafts and gearboxes to transfere to work.
    any comments welcome, good or bad, but i prefere good....hehehe

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2015 #2

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From Wikipedia:

4. Apr 14, 2015 #3
    Thanks Jack action.
    There is information there that I didn't know about.

5. Apr 14, 2015 #4

Randy Beikmann

Gold Member

What you are describing is a hydro-static transmission. The pump and motor can each be designed to be pump/motors, but they aren't necessarily that way, as jack action said.

6. Apr 14, 2015 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Conceptually simple, but there are many traps for the beginner. Pumps will often have a big inlet because only atmospheric pressure is available to push oil into the pump chamber, it can have a smaller outlet.

Pumps are usually designed to rotate in one particular direction. A hydraulic pump is designed to have a low and a high pressure side with seals to prevent it sucking air on the inlet side or weeping oil on the high pressure side.

A hydraulic motor may be designed for bi-directional operation. It can be operated with positive pressure on both ports. Bidirectional motors will have a third connection to drain fluid to the reservoir tank that leaks past the internal seals.

Hydraulic motors and pumps might get to 90% efficiency. A pump driving a motor will therefore have 90% * 90% = 81% efficiency. You will need to pay for that 19% inefficiency, you will also need an oil cooler to remove the 19% waste heat. A manual change gearbox will be closer to 98% efficient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook