Calculating Hydraulic Pump Area for Efficient Load Lifting

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the areas of a hydraulic oil pump with a load ratio of 50:1 for lifting a car. The design needed to be compact, and the main formula used was Pressure=Force/area. The force ratio was calculated to be 50:1, and a lever was used to increase the input load to 500N. The lifting load was 25000N. The user needed help calculating the areas of the cylinders, and had calculated the stroke of the second cylinder to be 100mm. The topic was requested to be deleted.
mikex24

Homework Statement

I want to calculate the areas of a hydraulic oil pump which will be used to lift a load(car). My load ratio is 50:1 and i want to transfer this power using a lever. I want the second piston to travel to max position on approximately 40 strokes. Also i want the ratio of the cylinders dimater not to be large because my design have to be compact.

Homework Equations

Here is the main formula Pressure=Force/area.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated on both sides of the system my force ratio which is 50:1. The user of the pump can act on the system 400Newton approx and using a lever of a lever of 120mm will increase the input load to 500N. The lifting load is 25000N so 50:1 force ratio. I need some help to calculate the areas of the cylinders. I try to make an assumption for the small area cylinder but the large area cylinder become too large, 50x larger than the input. I am sure that it is an easy solution but as i am never done it again it is difficult for me. I have aslo calculate the stroke of the second cylinder=100mm. Therefore i have to calculate the area of two cylinders which i input 500N and by 50x strokes on the small cylinder i want to get 100mm piston displacement on the large one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Delete the topic please

1. What is the formula for calculating hydraulic pump area for efficient load lifting?

The formula for calculating hydraulic pump area for efficient load lifting is: Area = Force / Pressure

2. How do I determine the force needed to lift a specific load?

To determine the force needed to lift a specific load, you will need to know the weight of the load and the force of gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Multiply the weight of the load in kilograms by the force of gravity to get the force needed in Newtons.

3. What is the ideal pressure for efficient load lifting?

The ideal pressure for efficient load lifting will vary depending on the specific hydraulic system and the weight of the load. It is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines and recommendations for the specific pump being used.

4. How does the size of the hydraulic pump affect the efficiency of load lifting?

The size of the hydraulic pump directly affects the efficiency of load lifting. A larger pump will have a larger area, allowing for more fluid to be pushed through and increasing the force and pressure for lifting. However, a larger pump may also require more energy to operate.

5. Can I use a different type of pump for efficient load lifting?

While hydraulic pumps are commonly used for load lifting, other types of pumps such as pneumatic or electric pumps can also be used. It is important to consider the specific requirements of your load and consult with a professional to determine the best type of pump for your application.