Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulic Seals @ 25,000+ psi?

1. Nov 29, 2004 #1
    I'm unable to find a hydraulic seal with a maximum operating pressure any greater than 11,000 psi, and that was a specific type of "vee packing." Does anybody know of a type of seal that can withstand more?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2004 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

http://www.globalspec.com/industrial-directory/metal_o-rings?se=ink&setag=INDIR

These are static seals.

You want a moving seal, HIP's chevron packings (screw pumps) will go to 30k --- if you're very, very careful, extremely fussy during assembly, and willing to replace the packing on a regular basis. Ruska, D&H, and a couple other instrument makers offer high-P screw pumps as well. It's a stretch to call any of them "sealed" --- there is slow bleeding, creeping of cylinder and piston (bulk failure), and thermal expansion/contraction of fluid --- bottom line? Tough to set a pressure on a system and have it stay put without positive shut off valves.

4. Nov 30, 2004 #3
    Thanks a lot, I'm not really sure of what I need here, but I don't think it's a non-static seal... I need a metal bar to be able to slide out of a container with very high pressures inside it, and I'm assuming I need a non-static seal around this bar, correct?

5. Nov 30, 2004 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, that's the one. Chevron Packings are the way.

6. Nov 30, 2004 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Axial movement is a moving seal. This pressure range is NOT recommended for OJT --- finishes on surfaces are critical, control of off-axis loads to "zero" is non-trivial, and the available "PV" work for "non-compressible" fluids is more than adequate to do serious injury. You might consider turning your "high pressure ram" specs over to customer service or engineering support at Aminco, HIP, Parr, or some other high pressure instrument/bomb company.

7. Nov 30, 2004 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh-ho! An "ice dilatometer!" Anything specific you're trying to determine?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?