Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulic total pressure

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    Total pressure is a sum of the static pressure and the dynamic one, and is said to be the same along a pipe/duct.
    In the water pipe gauge (static) pressure is maximal after the pump and minimal at the pipe outlet, but the speed and the density being the same, the dynamic pressure is the same everywhere. So, the total pressure is different at different points ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes: In a real-world situation, the stream of water loses energy as it flows, due mostly to friction and viscous losses. This is why pumps require input energy.

4. Nov 12, 2011 #3
    russ_watters EXCELLENT

5. Nov 12, 2011 #4
    Does total pressure stay the same everywhere in a closed system ?

6. Nov 12, 2011 #5
    Not according to Russ.
    The loss as the flud moves down the pipe is called, well, head loss.

7. Nov 13, 2011 #6
    The TP at discharge is not = the TP at suction ?
    Why ?

8. Nov 13, 2011 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That's the entire purpose of a pump.

9. Nov 14, 2011 #8
    because u give the pump electric power and it transimits it to hydraulic power
    thats the reason YURI

10. Nov 14, 2011 #9
    I got it so: the first statement (in my OP) - which one can meet not once in the writings on the subject - is true conditionally for only short lengthes of a system where head losses are considered negligeable.
    Thank you!

11. Nov 14, 2011 #10
    my friend we always here neglect secondary losses like fittings and valves but length no and also it depends on the length ur talkin abt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook