Hydraulics - does this circuit work?

1. brewnog

brewnog 2,792
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello there,

I have designed a machine which requires a double-acting hydraulic cylinder. I need someone to let me know if this attached circuit works, if not why not, and whether there is a better way of doing it! The fluid will return to tank for about two thirds of the time the machine is switched on. Will my pump be happy? Do I need a reasonable load so that my motor does not turn into a massive 30kW electric heater? Help on this circuit would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

The symbols are unfamiliar to me, but... knowing you, it probably won't work. Cat did hire your for your looks, right? :tongue:

4. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

looks like a cartoon character :P

5. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

Yeah. I'm not sure what that big eyeball is looking at, but it certainly seems intent.

6. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

rofl yah, i immediately thought "whos eyeball is that"

7. Q_Goest

Q_Goest 2,974
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hey Brewnog, I don't see a problem with this circuit. Most hydraulic RV's are designed to be able to handle constant use (unlike gasseous ones) so having the pump go through the RV on every cycle is fine. If you have any concerns, I'm sure the folks selling the equipment can take a look for you, but from the little I know it's fine as is.

8. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,118
    Gold Member

Oh god, thats like when some people throw a bucket of paint on the wall and start interpretting the 'art' of it and im just sitting there crying because i dont know what there talking about.

9. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

I strongly suspect that Mr. Goest didn't note the time differential between the original post and my response to it. :biggrin:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, BREWSKI!! :smile:
    11th, that is. I just had to do it now so that nobody pre-empts me.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  10. brewnog

brewnog 2,792
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahhhh, so you were waiting the entire year before you all answered my question! :smile:

As you can see, art isn't my strong point. However, the circuit was all good, a real engineer told me so!

11. Q_Goest

Q_Goest 2,974
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

LOL, yep! My eyes never wandered onto that detail.

Looks like the OP kept well though, didn't get all stinky and rotton yet.

- And look! There's Brewnog, still under the same tree and rousing from his sleep! Perhaps he needs a shave and a cold beer, but it seems his mind is still sharp as ever.

12. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

Hey, I've only been here since February. It's not my fault that everyone else ignored you for 6 months before that. As for me, I just found the thread whilst wandering about aimlessly.

13. brewnog

brewnog 2,792
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Slightly ironic really. I came here originally looking for some help. I didn't get any, but instead got sucked in and ended up being a helper-outer instead. Oh well.

14. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

I'm familiar with the concept. I came looking for help, didn't get any, ran into you instead, and ended up being a general pain-in-the-ass. I guess we all find our niche. :biggrin:

15. FredGarvin

FredGarvin 5,087
    Science Advisor

Well, if it's any consolation Brews....it should work fine. Just make sure your bypass/regulator is sized sufficiently.

How's that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?