Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulics help

1. May 17, 2005 #1

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is there some reason for Hazen-Williams friction model to failure in a hydraulic circuit?.

I have simulated an hydraulic system in a commercial code, and this model is the unique which gives stupid results like infinite volumetric rates. The Reynolds is about 10^5.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

My reference as well as the web site here (http://www.piping-toolbox.com/6_797.html) show that you are right on the edge of [tex]R_e[/tex] for using Hazen-Williams. Also, are you possibly outside the realm of this:
    I guess after we discount those two notions, the model will have to go under the microscope. Is there any way to compare your model to Darcy?

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  4. May 18, 2005 #3

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't help too much, but thanx anyway .

The problem is I have to switch between friction models when calculating an hydraulic installation, but this model is the unique which spends the longer computational time and gives unbelievable results. I was searching for same sort of conditions in which this formula is applicable, but I haven't found nothing interesting for justifying this fact.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?