Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydraulics question

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    Hi about 4 months back i posted my idea for a self running machine on www.overunity.com forums. Basically i had this simple idea about trying to manipulate a hydraulic system using a quadrant shape.

Sorry to post this here but ive had little feedback on overunity.com despite over 1000 views and i don't know where else to turn. Ive had it explained to me by someone who worked in physics but to be honest i didnt understand the explanation properly so all im asking is could someone please explain exactly why it wont work without just stating the laws of thermodynamics?

Here is the origional message on their forums:
    http://www.overunity.com/index.php/topic,3375.0.html

Thanks
    Phil

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The intro to your website seems to imply that you know your pursuit is doomed to failure, so I'm not sure what the point is here. In any case, we don't condone or encourage crackpot thinking here, so we don't allow such discussions. I did do a quick once-over of your site and your ideas have the usual crackpot pitfalls: you've created scenarios so complex that you are unable to find the flaws in them. That doesn't mean the flaws don't exist.

Btw, if you ever want anyone to ever even analyze your work for you, you're going to need to do real calculations to support the ideas. Ie, actually calculating forces, work, and real efficiency. "Units" is not a unit. Your calculations are essentially meaningless. Heck - if you learn the real physics it may enable you to find your mistakes faster and convince you to spend your time on a more worthwhile pursuit.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?