Hydraulics question

• Thread starter trickyrick
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have taken the front end of a fork lift and using it in my new house as an elevator. Im using a 5 hp 220v moter to turn a pump off a woodsplitter. This is within 4 feet of the forklift. I want to move the motor and pump away from the elevator there would now be 44 feet of 3/4 in hose between the two. My question is would the motor and pump have to work alot harder to operate the elevator.
Thanks
Rick

Answers and Replies

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So I'm guessing the flow is about 2 to 2.5 GPM and you won't use hose, but tube or pipe? Pressure is around 2500 psi, maybe a bit more? Number of elbows is small (say less than 10). Hydraulic oil is about the same as water? Given the above, the 44 feet isn't a problem. Pressure drop is about 1 psi for a .65" ID.

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean not to use hose. I was going to buy Hydraulic hose 3/4 in OD. There would be no elbows and the pressure gauge only goes as high as 1200 psi

Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Using hose for a permanent installation is a very poor way of going. They tend not to age well. Also, the ID of the hose is generally much less than a tube or pipe of the same OD. Overall, they don't have very good flow characteristics.

Do you know your flow rate? That makes all the difference in the world when calculating pressure drop.