Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrocarbon fuel

1. Jul 29, 2015 #1
    Dear PF Forum,
    Actually I've never visited chemistry forum. It's cosmology and SR that interests me.
    Tomorrow at Thursday 30th July, 14:00 GMT. I have to present a service (religion) about global warming.
    But there's some facts that I need to know fast.
    Can anyone help me?
    What is the formula of methane combustion? I know that if you burn methane it will become CO2, what is the formula?
    CH4 + O2 + ?? -> CO2 + ??
    What is the composition of car gasoline molecule? Just one type is enough.
    And what is the combustion reaction formula?
    Gasoline + O2 + ?? -> CO2 + ??
    It's not about homework, it's just a catholic service every month in one of parishioner home. And tomorrow it's my turn to present about environment. The catholic encylic. Can anyone help me? The clock is ticking? I haven't even prepared the song, yet. :eek:
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2015 #2
    Methane is ok
    CH4 + 2O2 -> CO2 + 2H2O
    Only gasoline left.

4. Jul 29, 2015 #3
    Done.
    Gasoline is
    2C8H18 + 25O2 -> 16CO2 + 18H2O

5. Jul 29, 2015 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Your equation shows combustion of octane - one of the alkanes present in gasoline. Gasoline is a mixture, so it is not possible to describe its combustion with a single equation. Your equation will do as a good example (note that it is not much different from the methane combustion, sure - coefficients are different, formulas of the compounds undergoing combustion are different, but but these are just specific cases of a general notion).

6. Jul 29, 2015 #5
    Okay, that's enough. I have to have something to talk about! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook