Chemical Composition & Combustion of Hydrocarbon Fuel

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with a presentation on global warming for a Catholic service. They are specifically looking for the formulas for methane combustion and the composition of car gasoline molecules. The conversation also discusses the difference between methane and gasoline combustion.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
Actually I've never visited chemistry forum. It's cosmology and SR that interests me.
Tomorrow at Thursday 30th July, 14:00 GMT. I have to present a service (religion) about global warming.
But there's some facts that I need to know fast.
Can anyone help me?
What is the formula of methane combustion? I know that if you burn methane it will become CO2, what is the formula?
CH4 + O2 + ?? -> CO2 + ??
What is the composition of car gasoline molecule? Just one type is enough.
And what is the combustion reaction formula?
Gasoline + O2 + ?? -> CO2 + ??
It's not about homework, it's just a catholic service every month in one of parishioner home. And tomorrow it's my turn to present about environment. The catholic encylic. Can anyone help me? The clock is ticking? I haven't even prepared the song, yet. :eek:
Thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Methane is ok
CH4 + 2O2 -> CO2 + 2H2O
Only gasoline left.

Done.
Gasoline is
2C8H18 + 25O2 -> 16CO2 + 18H2O

Stephanus said:
Gasoline is

Your equation shows combustion of octane - one of the alkanes present in gasoline. Gasoline is a mixture, so it is not possible to describe its combustion with a single equation. Your equation will do as a good example (note that it is not much different from the methane combustion, sure - coefficients are different, formulas of the compounds undergoing combustion are different, but but these are just specific cases of a general notion).

Borek said:
Your equation shows combustion of octane - one of the alkanes present in gasoline. Gasoline is a mixture, so it is not possible to describe its combustion with a single equation. Your equation will do as a good example (note that it is not much different from the methane combustion, sure - coefficients are different, formulas of the compounds undergoing combustion are different, but but these are just specific cases of a general notion).
Okay, that's enough. I have to have something to talk about! :smile:

What is the definition of chemical composition?

Chemical composition refers to the types and amounts of elements that make up a substance. It is the combination of elements that determine the properties and behavior of a substance.

What elements make up hydrocarbon fuels?

Hydrocarbon fuels are composed of hydrogen and carbon atoms. The simplest form is methane (CH4) which contains one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms. However, other hydrocarbon fuels like gasoline and diesel have more complex structures with varying amounts of carbon and hydrogen.

What is the process of combustion?

Combustion is a chemical reaction between a fuel and oxygen that produces heat and light. In the case of hydrocarbon fuels, the process starts with the vaporization of the fuel, followed by mixing with air and then ignition. This leads to a chain reaction of oxidation which releases energy in the form of heat and light.

What factors affect the combustion of hydrocarbon fuels?

The three main factors that affect the combustion of hydrocarbon fuels are the fuel-air ratio, temperature, and pressure. The right balance of these factors is crucial for efficient and complete combustion. Other factors that can impact combustion include the type of fuel, the presence of impurities, and the presence of a catalyst.

What are the by-products of hydrocarbon fuel combustion?

The by-products of hydrocarbon fuel combustion depend on the type of fuel and the efficiency of the combustion process. In general, the main by-products are carbon dioxide (CO2) and water vapor (H2O). However, incomplete combustion can also lead to the production of carbon monoxide (CO) and various hydrocarbons, which can be harmful to the environment and human health.