1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrocarbon Structural Diagrams

1. Feb 12, 2004 #1

JDK

Hello,

I was quite curious about this one here...

If I were asked to draw a structural diagram, for example, of trimethylbutane, where would I put the three branches of methyl. When they don't specify the location of the branches what does one do? I'd normally be expecting something like 2,3,3-trimethylbutane, etc. The reason I'm asking is because there are many combinations one could produce to put out something in this format x,x,x-trimethylbutane. Therefore I became unsure if the question was correct or if I was mistaken... or overly paranoid...

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2004 #2
    2,2,3 (or 2,3,3)-trimethyl butane seems to be the only option, because if either was at the first or last position, it would not be a butane; therefore, regardless of which end you start at, you will end up with 2,2,3- trimethyl butane.

Hope that helps.

4. Feb 13, 2004 #3

JDK

Yes that does. Thank-you. I didn't know it was significant if the branches were on the first/last carbon atoms. That clears up my confusion. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?