1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrodynamic limit

1. Jun 1, 2012 #1
    Hi there, does any of you know a place where I can find the derivation of the hydrodynamic equations (navier stokes, etc) starting from interacting particles? I need this done in a pedantic way as I have to deal with the case in which the free streaming length is of the same order of the averaging box, which is not the case in standard text books.

Thanks,

Dario

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2012 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not familiar with the terminology "free streaming length" but the Navier-Stokes equations assume a continuous medium, so they aren't derived from individual particle collisions.

4. Jun 1, 2012 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Chaikin and Lubensky's book "Principles of Condensed Matter Physics" has a derivation, as does Boon and Yip, "Molecular Hydrodynamics" and to some degree Brenner and Edwards "Macrotransport Processes". I wouldn't claim to fully understand the material, tho.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook