Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Hydrodynamics/Heat transfer] Does the dimensionless entrance length have a certain value limit?

1. Nov 19, 2014 #1
    Hi everybody,
    first of all, sorry for any grammatical mistakes, I am a non-native English speaker.
    So here is my concern,

the dimensionless (hydrodynamic) entrance length is defined as:

z+=zh/(Re*Dh)

,where zh is the hydrodynamic entrance length, Re is the Reynolds number, and dh is the hydraulic diameter of the duct.

If zh exceeds the total channel length L, do I have to assume zh=L for calculating z+??

Thank you very much

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2014 #2
    No. The entrance length is longer than the channel length, and the dimensionless entrance length is longer than the dimensionless channel length. zh is not limited to the actual channel length. If zh>L it just means that at the end of the channel the flow hasn't fully developed yet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook