Predicting Water Height as a Function of Drain Time: Hydrodynamics Lab Inquiry

In summary, the conversation is about predicting the height of water leaving an orifice as a function of time. The speaker is trying to determine this experimentally and is using the formula V/t= AV, which is different forms of flow rate. They have 100 ml of water and want to know how long it takes to collect this amount. They have found the area of the orifice to be 0.15 cm^3 and are using (2*g*h)^1/2 as the velocity. However, their calculations are resulting in a time of 357 seconds for 18 cm of height, which seems incorrect. They also question the level of physics involved in this task.
formulajoe
im supposed to predict height as a function of time for water leaving an orifice. determine heaigh as a function of drain time experimentally and compare the two on the same graph.

i don't even understand what it wants. I am pretty sure I've got all the necessary data, but i don't know how to do what he wants.

Physics news on Phys.org
okay, i think i have some of it figured out. but i don't know what formula to use to predict predict height as a function of time for water leaving the orifice.

heres what I am doing. please correct it because this is driving me insane.

im using V/t= AV. this is just different forms of the flow rate. i know the amount of (volume) of water i am gathering. it is 100 ml. i want to know how long it takes to get this amount. my lab partner found the area of the orifice to be about .15 cm^3. and I am using (2*g*h)^1/2 as the velocity. using this i end up with a time of about 357 seconds for 18 cm of height. so i checked the area of orifice using my collected data. for 100 ml of water to be collected, it too approx 4.06 sec. this is at 18 cm of height. using this, the area was around 46.
what am i doing wrong?

formulajoe,
what level of physics is this?

There could be a (simple) differential equation involved here. The flow rate at the oriface will be determined by the pressure at the level of the oriface below the water's surface. This will of course change with time. if the amount of water that you are extracting doesn't change the water level significantly (i.e. if the reservior is very wide), then this is probably not the case.

1. What is the purpose of a hydrodynamics lab?

A hydrodynamics lab is used to study the behavior and movement of fluids, such as water, in different conditions and environments. This can help scientists better understand natural phenomena, develop new technologies, and improve the design of structures that interact with fluids.

2. How is a hydrodynamics lab different from a hydraulics lab?

While both labs study the behavior of fluids, a hydrodynamics lab focuses on the movement and behavior of fluids in a broad range of conditions, including open systems, while a hydraulics lab specifically studies the behavior of fluids in closed systems, such as pipes and channels.

3. What types of experiments are typically conducted in a hydrodynamics lab?

Experiments in a hydrodynamics lab can range from simple demonstrations of fluid properties, such as surface tension and viscosity, to more complex simulations of fluid flow in various environments, such as water currents in oceans or air flow around airplanes.

4. What tools and equipment are commonly used in a hydrodynamics lab?

Some common tools and equipment used in a hydrodynamics lab include flow meters, pressure gauges, pumps, tanks or channels for containing fluids, and specialized software for data analysis and simulation. Advanced labs may also have equipment such as laser doppler velocimeters and particle image velocimetry systems for measuring fluid flow velocity and patterns.

5. How does the study of hydrodynamics relate to real-world applications?

The study of hydrodynamics has a wide range of real-world applications, including the design of ships and submarines, development of renewable energy technologies such as hydroelectric power and tidal energy, and understanding and predicting the effects of natural disasters such as tsunamis and hurricanes. It also plays a crucial role in industries such as aerospace, oil and gas, and civil engineering.