LOW"Maximizing Lift with Hydrofoil Simulation Calculator | Accuracy Verified

• Thread starter urbsurfer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of a hydrofoil simulation calculator to verify the results of a hydrofoil design. The input numbers, including foil area, speed, density of water, thickness, aspect ratio, angle of attack, and profile curvature, are given and the calculation indicates that the hydrofoil could produce 53690 pounds of lift. The person is seeking confirmation that these numbers are accurate and that the hydrofoil is not in a stalled state. There is also a discussion about the potential effects of adding a rectangular ducting around the hydrofoil. The conversation concludes with a question about the thickness of hydrofoils in general.
urbsurfer
I downloaded a hydrofoil simulation calculator and wanted to verify the results I am getting.
Can someone tell me if the following numbers are accurate? I am trying to get the highest amount of lift I can for a constant water velocity over hydrofoil of 20m/sec or 38.9Knots. I am also trying to keep the foil span as short as possible.

Here are the input numbers:
Foil Area Square Meters: 1 Sq M (1M span X 1M chord)
Speed M/sec: 20 M/sec
density of water kg/m^3: 1000
thickness of foil divided by chord: 0.5
Aspect ratio (Foil span/chord): 1 "This is a square foil I know"
Angle of attack: 14.32 degrees
Profile Curvature: 0.25

The calculation is claiming that the hydrofoil would produce 53690 pounds of lift with these numbers. I need to make sure this is true and also that the wing is not in a stalled state on these numbers.
Greatly appreciated. Sidenote: Would anything change if I put a rectangular ducting around the hyrdrofoil? I know in airfoils and fans, the ducting produces more volume of airflow.
BE

Likes Deliberately_Troy
Engineering news on Phys.org
The numbers sound believable. It is not so different than the foils that lift America's Cup racing yachts out of the water.

Likes Deliberately_Troy
urbsurfer said:
Sidenote: Would anything change if I put a rectangular ducting around the hyrdrofoil? I know in airfoils and fans, the ducting produces more volume of airflow.
It should have a few effects having ducting around the hydrofoil. Having ducting will improve the straight line tracking of the vessel, as well as keeping the flow across the foil cleaner. It would also reduce spillage across the side of the foil, reducing likelihood of one side producing more lift than the other. Being a narrow foil, maintaining even latteral lift will be crucial, as the effects of latteral lift differential (capsizing) will likely be quicker than a foil with the same amount of lift, generated over a wider area.

0.5 t/c? Are all hydrofoils that thick?

What is "Hydrofoiled again"?

"Hydrofoiled again" refers to a process where a boat is fitted with hydrofoils, which are wing-like structures that lift the boat out of the water at high speeds, reducing drag and increasing speed and efficiency.

What are the benefits of hydrofoiling?

Hydrofoiling offers numerous benefits, including increased speed, reduced fuel consumption, improved stability, and a smoother ride. It also allows boats to navigate shallow waters more easily and can reduce the risk of collision with marine life.

How does hydrofoiling work?

Hydrofoils work by creating lift, similar to how an airplane's wings work. As the boat moves forward, water flows over the hydrofoils, creating lift and reducing drag. This allows the boat to rise out of the water and glide on the surface at high speeds.

What types of boats can be hydrofoiled?

Most types of boats can be hydrofoiled, including sailboats, powerboats, and even personal watercraft. However, the size and shape of the boat can affect the effectiveness of hydrofoiling. Generally, longer, narrower boats with a flat bottom are more suitable for hydrofoiling.

Are there any safety concerns with hydrofoiling?

As with any type of boating, there are some safety concerns with hydrofoiling. It is important to have proper training and follow safety guidelines to prevent accidents. Additionally, hydrofoiling at high speeds can increase the risk of injury, so it is essential to wear proper safety gear and be aware of your surroundings.