1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrofoiled again

1. Nov 10, 2004 #1
    I downloaded a hydrofoil simulation calculator and wanted to verify the results I am getting.
    Can someone tell me if the following numbers are accurate? I am trying to get the highest amount of lift I can for a constant water velocity over hydrofoil of 20m/sec or 38.9Knots. I am also trying to keep the foil span as short as possible.

Here are the input numbers:
    Foil Area Square Meters: 1 Sq M (1M span X 1M chord)
    Speed M/sec: 20 M/sec
    density of water kg/m^3: 1000
    thickness of foil divided by chord: 0.5
    Aspect ratio (Foil span/chord): 1 "This is a square foil I know"
    Angle of attack: 14.32 degrees
    Profile Curvature: 0.25

The calculation is claiming that the hydrofoil would produce 53690 pounds of lift with these numbers. I need to make sure this is true and also that the wing is not in a stalled state on these numbers.
    Greatly appreciated. Sidenote: Would anything change if I put a rectangular ducting around the hyrdrofoil? I know in airfoils and fans, the ducting produces more volume of airflow.
    BE

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted