Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen and Oxygen from Electricity and Water

1. Dec 14, 2003 #1
    I came across an amazing fuel cell created by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. It's actually called a UNITIZED REGENERATIVE FUEL CELL which has a duel mode. Not only can it produce electricity from oxygen and hydrogen (two very abundant and easily available molecules) which is amazing in itself, but it is also reversible so can produce hydrogen and oxygen from electricity and water. Cool huh.
    They've also developed the MOST POWERFUL SOLID STATE LAZER which is the stuff of bond movies. They've already developed a proto that after a 6-second shot of laser light produced a 1-centimeter hole in a 2-centimeter-thick slice of steel. If I were a bond villain this company would definitely be on my books!

Silvershadow

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2003 #2
    This belongs in a Bond film. Or maybe Austin Powers, because it's a bunch of goofy crap. You can't get more electricity out of burning hydrogen and oxygen than it takes to make it from water.

But you probably already knew that.

4. Dec 15, 2003 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think he's suggesting it's a perpetual motion machine, only that it's (nearly) reversible.

- Warren

5. Dec 16, 2003 #4
    The concept is real. The science is real. The cell must be rejuvenated on occasion ( by recharging water /electricity) as no system can be 100% efficient or fight the 2nd law.

I have trod this path on 3 different forums and have gotten the "woo-woo" response at the start of thread and pregnant silence at the end. Do the research first , then scoff.

The leading opponents are the large energy ( oil/electric ) company's to whom a regenerative fuel cell represents a departure from the daily dependance on thier product. The are trying ( with concerted effort , such as the availability of research dollars to "directed projects)to preempt efforts of a self renewing resource by trying to direct the field to adopt fuel cell technologies that rely on using hydrogen as a "fuel" rather then a occasional replenished catalyst.

Research befor you opine..

6. Dec 16, 2003 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So what does this do that's different from a normal fuel cell?

- Warren

7. Dec 16, 2003 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Doesn't really say much on the given link, but it looks like they've licked two different transport problems with a single electrode-electrolyte configuration --- not trivial.

8. Dec 16, 2003 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, it's a PEM that can be run in reverse. Essentially, it's a "water battery." Pretty nifty, particularly if what they claim about the energy-to-weight ratio is true.

I don't think anyone is woo-wooing your link, TillEulenspiegel. I think Chemicalsuperfreak mistakenly thought you were suggesting it was a "perpetual energy source," though I can't speak for him.

- Warren

9. Dec 31, 2003 #8
    Having read the postings and given link, this device does exactly what it says. It combines two related technologies into one package, reducing the overall weight of a system that would otherwise require both and, collectively, heavier separate units.
    No perpetual anything. Just an engineering systems-intergration affording weight reduction; useful in special applications noted in the article.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?