Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen Atom in Magnetic Field

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    I am attempting to find the probability, after time [itex]t[/itex], of a hydrogen atom in a magnetic field [itex]\vec{\mathbf{B}}=B_0\hat{\mathbf{z}}[/itex] to go from

[tex]
    \left|n,l,s,j,m_j\right\rangle \longrightarrow \left|n',l',s,j',m_j'\right\rangle
    [/tex]

where [itex]j=l+\frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex]j'=l'+\frac{1}{2}[/itex] or [itex]j'=l'-\frac{1}{2}[/itex]. Since it is hydrogen then [itex]s=s'=\frac{1}{2}[/itex].

What I thought I should do was use the Hamiltonian

[tex]
    \hat{H}=-\vec{\boldsymbol{\mu}}\cdot\vec{\mathbf{B}}=\frac{e}{2m}(\vec{\mathbf{L}}+2\vec{\mathbf{S}})
    [/tex]

and then I get the matrix element for the transition,

[tex]
    \left\langle n',l',s',j',m_j'\right|\hat{H}\left|n,l,s,j,m_j \right\rangle=\frac{\hbar e}{2m} B_0g_Jm_j\langle n',l',s',j',m_j'|n,l,s,j,m_j\rangle
    [/tex]

where [itex]g_F[/itex] is the Lande g-factor. I would have used this in time-dependent perturbation theory to get the probability after time [itex]t[/itex], however, while this does give me a non-zero element for [itex]j'=l'+\frac{1}{2}[/itex] (where we would have [itex]l'=l[/itex]), it is zero due to orthogonality for the other case ([itex]j'=l'-\frac{1}{2}[/itex]). Is there something wrong with the way I am going about this?

I really appreciate any comments.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted