1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen atom

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a question on my quantum pset relating to calculating <p^2/2m> and <-e^2/r> for the first two spherically symmetric states of the hydrogen atom (in 3D).

3. The attempt at a solution

I started out trying to calculate the averages with [tex]\psi[/tex] ... something like, for the ground state, [tex]\psi = \frac{e^{-2r/a_0}}{\sqrt{\pi * a_0^3}}[/tex].

But then I ran into problems (when I was trying to do the <-e^2/r>) when I came up with an integral involving a term [tex]\frac{e^{-2r/a_0}}{r}[/tex]. As far as I could see, this integral sort of seems to explode at the origin / at infinity. I was wondering, should I use just the radial wavefunction part, since it has an extra r factor that would make this integral possible? I was just confused basically...
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are not giving the details of what you calculated so it's hard to answer but you should not have any problem because the volume element [tex] dV = r^2 \sin \theta ~dr d\theta d\phi [/tex] provides an extra factor of r^2. Did you take this into account?
  4. Nov 30, 2007 #3
    mmm, I didn't :) Thanks so much :)

I know it was smth silly I wasn't paying attention to ^_^

It's not dependent on theta or phi, so I should just multiply it by 4 pi after doing the integral in r, right?
  5. Nov 30, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's correct. The integral over phi and theta of the angular part of the volume element gives 4 pi (you should do it once explicitly to see how it works out!)

Glad I could help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?