1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen atom

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] hydrogen atom

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My book says that

[tex]R_{1,0}(r) = 2(1/a_0)^{3/2} e^{-r/a_0}[/tex]

is a normalized wavefunction. But if you integrate R_{1,0}(r)^2 over r from 0 to infinity, you do not get 1. What's wrong here?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

You need a factor of r^2 that comes from the dx dy dz in spherical coords.

4. Dec 5, 2007 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not it - he's got the factor of r^2. LATE EDIT: No, you're right. I misread his (r)^2 as the r^2 from the volume element.

Ehrenfest: You should not get 1 for that integral. Write down the (general) normalization condition.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  5. Dec 5, 2007 #4
    Now, I am very confused. I did not have the factor of r^2. But I only need that when I am integrating over dtheta dphi.

Isn't the normalization condition

[tex]\int_{r=0}^{\infty}|R_{1,0}|^2dr = 1[/tex]

Obviously that's wrong but why?

Are you implying that it should really be

[tex]\int_{all space}|\Psi|^2drd\thetad\phi = 1[/tex]

But [tex] \Psi = R(r)Y_{l,m}(\theta,\phi)[/tex] and the spherical harmonics are already normalized. So the normalization condition is still [tex]\int_{r=0}^{\infty}|R_{1,0}(r)|^2dr = 1[/tex], right?

6. Dec 5, 2007 #5
    I edited my last post before I saw yours but here it is again

Are you implying that it should really be

[tex]\int_{all space}|\Psi|^2drd\thetad\phi = 1[/tex]

But [tex] \Psi = R(r)Y_{l,m}(\theta,\phi)[/tex] and the spherical harmonics are already normalized. So the normalization condition is still [tex]\int_{r=0}^{\infty}|R_{1,0}(r)|^2dr = 1[/tex], right?

7. Dec 5, 2007 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only for a 1D problem.

That's not it either.

And that's important. Over what variables are the spherical harmonics normalized? Write down this expression.

Next:

[tex]\int d\Omega |\Psi(r,\theta ,\phi )|^2 = 1 [/tex]

How do you write the volume element [itex]d\Omega[/itex] in spherical co-ordinates?

8. Dec 5, 2007 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you get? You said in your first post that you did not get 1, what did u get?

What happens if you insert r^2 and then integrate?

I have now checked, and I think you are missing the r^2

[tex] R(r) = \frac{u(r)}{r} [/tex] where u(r) solves the radial shrödringer eq.

And now the nowmalization becomes:

[tex]\int_{r=0}^{\infty}|R(r)|^2r^2dr = \int_{r=0}^{\infty}|u(r)|^2dr =1[/tex]

EDIT: Gokul43201 saw that he made a misstake, now three of us are telling you that you missed the r^2 from the volume element of integration =)

9. Dec 5, 2007 #8
    I think I see the problem.

We know that

[tex] \int_{all space}\Psi(r,\phi,\theta)dr r^2 sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi = 1[/tex]

[tex]\Psi(r,\phi,\theta) = R(r)Y(\theta,\phi)[/tex]

So, [tex]\int_{\Omega}Y(\theta,\phi)d\Omega = \int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi} Y(\theta,\phi)d\phi d\theta = 1[/tex].

Wait, is the first equality in the last equation true, or do I need a factor of sine in there?

10. Dec 5, 2007 #9

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

need or need.. you are forgetting to square the wavefunction..

the only problem was that you forgot was the r^2 from the volume element of integration.

[tex] \int Y^*Y sin(\theta )d\theta d\phi = 1 [/tex] is the normalization condition for the angular part.

11. Dec 5, 2007 #10
    Here is what my last post should have been:

We know that

[tex] \int_{all space}\Psi(r,\phi,\theta)*\Psi(r,\phi,\theta)dr r^2 sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi = 1[/tex]

[tex]\Psi(r,\phi,\theta) = R(r)Y(\theta,\phi)[/tex]

So, [tex]\int_{\Omega}Y(\theta,\phi)*Y(\theta,\phi)d\Omega = \int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi} Y(\theta,\phi)*Y(\theta,\phi) sin\theta d\phi d\theta = 1[/tex].

I have no idea why the first equality in the last equation needs that sin \theta? I have solids angles, I have no idea what they mean any more?

12. Dec 5, 2007 #11
    Never mind. I see. Thanks all. :)

13. Dec 5, 2007 #12
    EDIT: Do not even read this post. It is all wrong. I am not confused any more.

Now I am really confused. Apparently the normalization condition is really

[tex]4\pi\int_{r=0}^{\infty}|R(r)|^2r^2dr = 1[/tex]

If you try this for the wavefunction I have in my first post, you need that factor of 4\pi.

Which means that [tex] \int \int Y^*Y sin(\theta )d\theta d\phi = 1 [/tex] was not correct!

But that makes no sense and I am so confused.

14. Dec 5, 2007 #13

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] d\Omega = sin\theta d\phi d\theta [/tex]

=)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?