1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen Bonds and Water

1. Dec 18, 2011 #1

Qube

Gold Member

I'm a little confused on hydrogen bonds. Here's a sample question and answer I'm having trouble with:

1) In a single molecule of water, two hydrogen atoms are bonded to a single oxygen atom by
    A) hydrogen bonds.
    B) nonpolar covalent bonds.
    C) polar covalent bonds.
    D) ionic bonds.
    E) van der Waals interactions.
    Answer: C

OK - polar covalent bonds are holding the hydrogen atoms to the oxygen atom. That I can understand.

But couldn't the interaction between the hydrogen and the oxygen also be classified as a hydrogen bond? Hydrogen bond, as I was taught in Chem, is simply the interaction between H and F, O, or N. So couldn't the answer also be A?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2011 #2
    Hydrogen bonding is the interaction of a hydrogen atom with an electronegative atom that comes from a different molecule (or functional group if you're dealing with a large molecule). There's (typically) a clear cut donor and acceptor - for example, in liquid water, the intramolecular OH bond length is one-half the typical hydrogen bond length between water molecules. But if they're both hydrogen bonding - to go with your proposed redefinition - why are they so different, then?

4. Dec 18, 2011 #3
    No because Hydrogen bonding is a form of intermolecular force - forces which occur between molecules. The bonding of hydrogen and oxygen in water is an example of intramolecular force - the force within a molecule.

5. Dec 18, 2011 #4

Qube

Gold Member

Hydrogen bonds, according to the IUPAC Gold Book, can be an intramolecular force.

http://goldbook.iupac.org/H02899.html

6. Dec 18, 2011 #5
    That is what I was attempting to (imperfectly, it seems) convey - for example, if you have a very large molecule such as a protein, the amide proton of residue i can hydrogen bond to to the carbonyl oxygen of residue i-4. However, that hydrogen is going to be - on average - closer to one of the atoms than the other.

If you need further clarification, just ask. But I think the protein example is the best way to understand what is meant by an intramolecular hydrogen bond.

P.S. - When I said "intramolecular OH bond length," I was referring to the bond lengths *within* the water molecule, not the distances between hydrogen bonded atoms. Perhaps that wasn't clear - sorry about that.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook