Hydrogen Car Fuel Tank

Main Question or Discussion Point

How do hydrogen powered cars prevent the permeation of hydrogen through the valve used to fill the car's tank with hydrogen? Is a regular check valve used or is the valve special in some way?

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
How do hydrogen powered cars prevent the permeation of hydrogen through the valve used to fill the car's tank with hydrogen? Is a regular check valve used or is the valve special in some way?
That's a design detail that may vary. I can tell you this though; my large neighborhood propane tanks use a type of Schrader valve using a ball bearing instead of a center post. It acts as a check valve, with the pressure and a spring popping it into place as soon as the fill hose is removed. I see no reason why this wouldn't work for H2...

...but these valves are not foolproof and a secondary manual ball valve would be a good idea....though it would also need it's own safety relief valve.

That is true for most compounds, but hydrogen is very hard to contain as it goes through the walls of most materials through permeation.

Ok. Thanks everyone.