Hydrogen, Deuterium, and Tritium Ionization Spectra

In summary, NWFusor said that the spectra of different isotopes would be different due to the mass effect and that actual calculations should use the reduced mass. FusorOk added that the hyperfine structure will also be different due to the different spins of the isotopes.
nwfusor
Hello Everybody,
I'm looking into spectral analysis, and I couldn't find anything online about the spectra of different isotopes in discharge tubes (i.e. neon signs and the like ). Do different hydrogen isotopes have different spectra? If so, where could I find the data on the spectra?
Thanks,
NWFusor

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok that is not a complete answer, only deuterium, but quick and it can be the origin of further search, e.g. Balmer lines.

I would venture to say that only the observable difference will be due to the mass effect. Scaling properly the results for H should give the correct results for D and T.

DrClaude said:
I would venture to say that only the observable difference will be due to the mass effect. Scaling properly the results for H should give the correct results for D and T.
Shouldn't the electron configuration be the same on all three? Gravitation plays no role and charges are equal?

fresh_42 said:
Shouldn't the electron configuration be the same on all three? Gravitation plays no role and charges are equal?
The mass effect has nothing to do with gravitation!

You have a two-particle system, so the correct way to go about it is to separate the motion into two parts: center-of-mass motion and relative motion of the nucleus-electron system. The latter is the one relevant to the spectrum and the energy levels. In the Hamiltonian, you have to use the reduced mass
$$
\mu = \frac{m_N m_e}{m_N + m_e}
$$
In many texts, this is not fully explained, and you will find ##m_e## instead of ##\mu##, but this is only an approximation. Actual calculations should use the reduced mass, and it will be different for the different isotopes.

I should specify that I am considering here the presence of "ionization" in the title of the thread. In the full spectrum, the hyperfine structure will also be different due to the different spins of the isotopes.

Likes fresh_42
The mass effect is not related to gravity. When solving for the energy levels, the two-body system (nucleus and electron) is reduced to a one-body system with a reduced "electron" mass. This takes into account that both nucleus and electron can "move". The effect is of the order of the electron to nucleus mass ratio, ~1/1800 for hydrogen, ~1/3600 for deuterium and ~1/5400 for tritium as relative shift (compared to a hydrogen-like atom with an infinite nucleus mass).

Edit: too slow.

Thank you both. Something learned today.

1. What is ionization spectra?

Ionization spectra refers to the unique pattern of energy levels and transitions that occur when an atom or molecule is ionized, or loses one or more electrons. This pattern is often represented in a graph known as an ionization spectrum.

2. What is the difference between hydrogen, deuterium, and tritium ionization spectra?

The main difference between these three types of ionization spectra is the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of the atom. Hydrogen has one proton, deuterium has one proton and one neutron, and tritium has one proton and two neutrons. This variation in nuclear structure results in slightly different energy levels and transitions, leading to distinct ionization spectra.

3. What can we learn from studying ionization spectra?

By studying ionization spectra, we can gain a better understanding of the electronic structure of atoms and molecules. This can help us to predict chemical and physical properties, as well as provide insights into the behavior of these particles under different conditions.

4. How are ionization spectra measured?

Ionization spectra can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as spectroscopy or mass spectrometry. These methods involve bombarding the atoms or molecules with energy, causing them to ionize and emit light or particles. By analyzing the resulting emissions, we can determine the energy levels and transitions present in the ionization spectra.

5. What are some real-world applications of ionization spectra?

Ionization spectra have numerous applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and astronomy. They are used to identify and analyze unknown substances, study the composition of stars and other celestial bodies, and even aid in the development of new technologies like lasers and nuclear power.