1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen Emission Spectrum

1. Nov 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What wavelengths emitted from a hydrogen gas discharge tube are associated with transitions from higher levels down to the n = 1 level?
    [a] infrared
    visible
    [c] mixture of infrared and visible
    [d] ultraviolet

2. Relevant equations
    Equations:
    1/λ = Rh[1/(m^2)-1/(n^2)] Rh = 1.09 x 10^7 m^-1.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Can someone explain hydrogen gas electron transition to me? This stuff is a little over my head.

I obtained various wavelengths with arbitrary quantum numbers greater than 1. I took +infinity as a bound since higher quantum numbers reaches the series limit.
    1/λ*(1 m/10^ 9 nm) = (1.097e-7 m^-1)[1/(1^2)-1/(infinity)]
    λ (+infinity ,1)= 91.6 nm

1/λ*(1 m/10^ 9 nm) = (1.097e-7 m^-1)[1/(1^2)-1/(4^2)]
    λ (4 ,1)= 4.86 nm

The level transitions yield a photon with wavelengths corresponding to UV light.

I’m confused though because taking bounds of the 1.01 type down to 1 allows the photon to be associated with different lights. Do I have to keep m and n whole when doing this problem? With m & n being non-integral values n can be taken arbitrarily closer and closer to 1 (with n>1) pushing the wavelength to positive infinity. Non-integral values possess a different number of points in a dimensional space corresponding to different emissions.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you have to keep m and n whole numbers. That's quantization. There are only discrete states for bound electrons.

4. Nov 26, 2012 #3
    Okay I understand this now. Thanks a lot!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook