1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen excitation (griffiths 9.1)

1. Jan 16, 2005 #1
    I'm trying to solve problem 9.1 from griffiths book on quantum mechanics. I've written down the hydrogen wavefunctions for all combinations allowed of n, l and m. Now according to griffiths (and my memory) only one excitation is actually allowed between n=1 and n=2. This would minimize the amount of integration. Problem is, I can't find out wich wave functions have no business here. Any help would be welcome, spec. if you could give the correct set of n,l,m and motivation (so don't start TEX-ing in all the wave functions, there in the book).

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2005 #2
    As you are integrating over all of space all integrands that are odd in z vanish. Furthermore integrands containing [itex]e^{+/- i \phi}[/itex] vanish for more or less the same reason.

4. Jan 16, 2005 #3
    tx

slowly figuring it out...Thanks Willem, see you on Friday

5. Jan 16, 2005 #4
    :biggrin: :tongue2: :surprised Wizzart...aka?!

6. Jan 17, 2005 #5
    :rofl: Rutger, 4th year student, doing lotsa 3rd year stuff. Usually talking with people like Egge, Erwin or Martijn. Check the picture on my website, probably more useful than vague descriptions... :rofl:

7. Jan 17, 2005 #6
    Aha, Rutger... Nice site, and cartoons! I especially liked the one about Steve Vai :wink: . Good luck studying QM...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?