Hydrogen excitation (griffiths 9.1)

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem from Griffiths' book on quantum mechanics and the difficulties the person is having with determining which wave functions are not needed. They mention that certain integrands vanish for specific reasons and express appreciation for the help they received from someone named Willem. The conversation also briefly touches on the topic of studying quantum mechanics and the person's website, which features cartoons.
wizzart
I'm trying to solve problem 9.1 from griffiths book on quantum mechanics. I've written down the hydrogen wavefunctions for all combinations allowed of n, l and m. Now according to griffiths (and my memory) only one excitation is actually allowed between n=1 and n=2. This would minimize the amount of integration. Problem is, I can't find out which wave functions have no business here. Any help would be welcome, spec. if you could give the correct set of n,l,m and motivation (so don't start TEX-ing in all the wave functions, there in the book).

Physics news on Phys.org
As you are integrating over all of space all integrands that are odd in z vanish. Furthermore integrands containing [itex]e^{+/- i \phi}[/itex] vanish for more or less the same reason.

tx

slowly figuring it out...Thanks Willem, see you on Friday

wizzart said:
slowly figuring it out...Thanks Willem, see you on Friday

:biggrin: :tongue2: Wizzart...aka?!

:rofl: Rutger, 4th year student, doing lotsa 3rd year stuff. Usually talking with people like Egge, Erwin or Martijn. Check the picture on my website, probably more useful than vague descriptions... :rofl:

Aha, Rutger... Nice site, and cartoons! I especially liked the one about Steve Vai :wink: . Good luck studying QM...

1. What is hydrogen excitation?

Hydrogen excitation refers to the process in which the electrons in a hydrogen atom absorb energy and jump to a higher energy level, resulting in an excited state.

2. How does hydrogen excitation occur?

Hydrogen excitation can occur through various mechanisms such as collisions with other particles, absorption of photons, or through electrical discharges.

3. What is the significance of hydrogen excitation?

Hydrogen excitation plays a crucial role in many natural phenomena, including the emission of light from stars and the production of visible light in neon lights. It also has applications in fields such as spectroscopy and plasma physics.

4. What is the difference between hydrogen excitation and ionization?

Hydrogen excitation and ionization are both processes that involve the movement of electrons in a hydrogen atom. However, in excitation, the electrons move to a higher energy level within the same atom, while in ionization, the electrons are completely removed from the atom.

5. What is the Griffiths 9.1 equation for hydrogen excitation?

The Griffiths 9.1 equation, also known as the Bohr frequency condition, is an equation used to calculate the energy of a photon that is emitted or absorbed during hydrogen excitation. It is given by E = hf = hc/λ, where h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency of the photon, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength of the photon.