Can I Pursue a Career in Hydrogen Fuel Cells?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience in creating a hydrogen fuel cell and their interest in pursuing a career in fuel cells after college. The use of a nanometal catalyst instead of platinum is mentioned, but it is noted that there is currently no catalyst that works as well. The demand for fuel cell engineers is currently low, but this may change in the future as the world transitions to a hydrogen-based infrastructure. The conversation also briefly touches on the use of hydrogen fuel cell taxis in London.
Null_
Hi all,
I recently made my own hydrogen fuel cell and really enjoyed the process and everything I learned. I didn't know much about electronics or cells, so it was a great learning experience. In my research I found that chemical engineers made a nanometal to work as a catalyst instead of the expensive and fragile platinum wire.

I just graduated high school, and I will be entering college for chemE in the fall. Is working on H-fuel cells a viable route to go once I graduate from college? Or is the demand in the stage that they will have all the engineers working on it that they'll need? Is this even something chemical engineers world work on? And I do realize that I haven't much experience in the field. I am sure that I will be interested by other applications, but I am attracted to H-fuel for a variety of reasons, including pollution.

Thanks, and sorry for all of the questions. :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
As of right now, there is no catalyst for oxygen reduction reactions that works as well as platinum or arguably has as good of a performance/cost ratio. Some of the N-based complexes show a lot of promise but this a very new technology.

Working in fuel cells is a good route to go after you graduate but FC jobs are hard to come by right now. There are a lot of engineers that want to work in fuel cell and similar technology but not many jobs exist for them. This of course could change by the time you graduate from college. Hydrogen infrastructure in general is a good area to specialize in, in my opinion. Many people (including myself) believe that a hydrogen economy is the best solution to the energy crisis we are currently in. Switching from a fossil fuel to a hydrogen based infrastructure will of course require a lot of skilled chemical engineers so its a very good concentration to choose.

Anyone know how many of these hydrogen taxis are in the initial roll out in London? Or if they used liquid or compressed H2?
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/zero-emissions-fuel-cell-hybrid-taxi-unveiled-at-londons-city-hall-2010-06-07?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a hydrogen fuel cell and how does it work?

A hydrogen fuel cell is a device that converts chemical energy from hydrogen and oxygen into electrical energy. It works by separating the electrons and protons in the hydrogen atoms, which then flow through an external circuit to produce electricity. The protons and electrons then combine with oxygen to form water vapor, the only byproduct of this process.

What are the benefits of pursuing a career in hydrogen fuel cells?

Pursuing a career in hydrogen fuel cells can offer a variety of benefits. These include contributing to the development of clean energy technologies, helping to reduce carbon emissions and combat climate change, and being at the forefront of a rapidly growing industry with potential for job growth and advancement.

What education and skills are needed to work with hydrogen fuel cells?

A career in hydrogen fuel cells typically requires a background in engineering, chemistry, or a related field. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are also important, as well as knowledge of electrical circuits, renewable energy sources, and safety protocols for handling hydrogen gas.

What are some potential job opportunities in the field of hydrogen fuel cells?

There are a variety of job opportunities in the field of hydrogen fuel cells, including research and development, design and engineering, manufacturing, project management, and sales and marketing. Other potential roles could include working in government agencies, consulting firms, or renewable energy companies.

What is the current state of the hydrogen fuel cell industry and its future prospects?

The hydrogen fuel cell industry is rapidly growing, with increasing investments and advancements in technology. It is being used in various applications, such as transportation, power generation, and energy storage. The future of the industry looks promising, with ongoing research and development to improve efficiency and reduce costs, as well as potential for widespread adoption as a clean energy solution.