Can I turn hydrogen gas into electricity without purchasing a fuel cell?

In summary, hydrogen can be used as a source of electricity, but it is more of a science experiment/test than something that can be used on a regular basis. You will need to find a way to extract the hydrogen from where it was generated and find a way to convert it into electricity.
drew wood
I would like to start experimenting with hydrogen as an electricity source, but I haven't been able to find any good resources for steps after the hydrogen generation. I've made some prototypes of small-scale hydrogen generation using electrolysis, so now I basically have two bags, one filled with hydrogen and the other one with oxygen. My question is now how do I go about taking these two gases and turning them into electricity. I'm looking for a feasible option that doesn't require just purchasing a fuel cell, rather, making my own.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi drew, :welcome:

Re-think: hydrogen is just as much an energy source as copper wire ...

The way to 'make' electricity is to not use it to make hydrogen.

Likes billy_joule
BvU said:
Hi drew, :welcome:

Re-think: hydrogen is just as much an energy source as copper wire ...

The way to 'make' electricity is to not use it to make hydrogen.

It is more of a science experiment/test, just too see how it works and such.

But to test it as a source you have to take it from somewhere first. Yes, there is a loss of energy in the process.

Hydrogen half cell comes to mind as part of a possible setup. You will have problems finding good electrode material though.

Borek said:
But to test it as a source you have to take it from somewhere first. Yes, there is a loss of energy in the process.

Hydrogen half cell comes to mind as part of a possible setup. You will have problems finding good electrode material, though.

Lets say I can obtain the electrode material (platinum wire or whatever is necessary), any thoughts on constructing a half cell?

Wire in the acidic solution (around 0.5-1 M sulfuric acid would be my first choice), gas bubbled through the solution. You won't get high currents, and you will lose plenty of hydrogen (unless you can make it a closed system, with the gas circulating), but it should already work. You will need an oxygen half cell as well, and some kind of membrane (or a salt bridge).

Hydrogen is a energy storage medium, like a battery. Not an energy cell.

Considering hydrogen gas is hard to work with, volatile, explosive, hard to contain without leakage, consider using something else.
There's a reason technology develops towards bio ethanol/propanol and electric, not hydrogen gas fuel cells.

What is hydrogen fuel generation?

Hydrogen fuel generation is the process of producing hydrogen fuel from water or other sources. This fuel can then be used to power vehicles, homes, and other machines.

How does hydrogen fuel generation work?

Hydrogen fuel generation typically involves the use of an electrolyzer, which uses electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen is then captured and stored for use as fuel.

What are the benefits of hydrogen fuel generation?

Hydrogen fuel generation is a clean and sustainable process, as it produces no emissions when used as fuel. It also has a high energy density, meaning it can store a large amount of energy in a small volume.

What are the challenges of hydrogen fuel generation?

The main challenge of hydrogen fuel generation is the cost and efficiency of the process. Electrolyzers can be expensive to build and operate, and the process of storing and transporting hydrogen can also be costly.

What are the potential future applications of hydrogen fuel generation?

Hydrogen fuel generation has the potential to revolutionize the transportation industry by providing a clean and sustainable alternative to fossil fuels. It can also be used in industries such as power generation and heating, and has potential as a versatile energy storage solution for renewable energy sources.