Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen Gas

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    Are there any commercially available chemicals that can assist in Hydrogen Gas remediation? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

There is a free oxygen, which combined with hydrogen gives water.

Not sure what you are asking about.

4. Jun 18, 2011 #3

SpectraCat

Science Advisor

Giving a definition of what you mean by "Hydrogen Gas Remediation" might help us to help you.

5. Jun 18, 2011 #4
    Thanks for the responses. I just joined and have had issues with responding. Probably Norton again. I would like to remediate free hydrogen that is given off during an experiment.

6. Jun 19, 2011 #5

SpectraCat

Science Advisor

That's what I figured ... here is a solution: combine it with air and burn it.

7. Jun 28, 2011 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know of anything commercially available. Hydrogen from electrolysis is usually ventilated to maintain hydrogen below explosion limits. Cheap, cheap, cheap. In cases where ventilation isn't suitable, hydrogen getters can be used but they are reactive and very expensive. Here is http://sti.srs.gov/fulltext/rp2000438/rp2000438.html" [Broken] based on sol-gel metal hydride granules.

Sounds expensive.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Jul 1, 2011 #7

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My approach as a kid was always: capture in a balloon, wait for night, light string attached to balloon, watch brief, nice show.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook