Hydrogen peroxide and manganese dioxide

• Thread starter student101
  • Start date
For the following two reactions: hydrogen peroxide and manganese dioxide, or hydrogen peroxidea and sand

- The MgO2 reacted faster - why?
- it has to have something to do with the presence of catalase.

Also, when i reacted potato with H2O2 and liver with H2O2, the liver caused a greater rate of reaction. Why?

Answers and Replies

iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
student101 said:
Also, when i reacted potato with H2O2 and liver with H2O2, the liver caused a greater rate of reaction. Why?

What enzyme is present at great concentration in the liver? That should answer your question

So essentially, since there is a greater concentration of the enzyme in liver than in potato, then the reaction will occur at a greater speed when with liver than with potato, right? Also:
How about reaction 1?

Last edited:
iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
student101 said:
So essentially, since there is a greater concentration of the enzyme in liver than in potato, then the reaction will occur at a greater speed when with liver than with potato, right?

Yeah, the liver has greater amount of catalase compare to the potato and this would influence the kinetic of the reaction.

the condition might also influence the reaction. An animal catalase will work better at different conditions compare to the plant catalase. However, I do not think that the factor that influence the reation in you lab.

But what about the reaction between manganese dioxide and hydrogen perxide vs. sand and hydrogen peroxide?