Hydrogen peroxide reactions that yield high energy

In summary, using highly exothermic solids such as magnesium or aluminum may be a potential solution for releasing the most energy when combined with hydrogen peroxide, but safety precautions and further testing are necessary.
guss
Let's say I have a solid, and hydrogen peroxide. I slowly release the hydrogen peroxide onto the solid, and both rapidly decompose yielding various compounds (I believe two will always be water and oxygen gas when dealing with hydrogen peroxide). What (solid) compound should I use to release the most energy?

I was thinking that maybe it would be possible to use a solid that decomposes into something combustable, then combust that with the oxygen produced by the decomposing H2O2. That way, energy is released in two ways: first, by the pressure (gas) and heat produced by the decomposing H2O2 and solid; and second, by the combustion of the results of the decomposition. But, I'm not sure if there is a solid that can do this.

Does anyone have any ideas? Bonus points if the solid is safe and easy to obtain. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org

I would suggest using a solid compound that is highly exothermic when combined with oxygen, such as magnesium or aluminum. These metals are known for their high combustion temperatures and could potentially yield a lot of energy when combined with the oxygen produced by the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide.

However, it is important to consider safety when conducting any experiments with potentially hazardous chemicals. I would recommend using small amounts of the solid compound and gradually increasing the amount to determine the safest and most effective ratio for energy release.

Additionally, it is important to note that the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide and combustion of the solid compound may produce toxic fumes, so proper ventilation and protective gear should be used during the experiment.

Overall, further research and experimentation would be needed to determine the most efficient and safe combination of solid compound and hydrogen peroxide for maximum energy release.

1. What is the chemical formula for hydrogen peroxide?

The chemical formula for hydrogen peroxide is H2O2, which means it contains two hydrogen atoms and two oxygen atoms.

2. How does hydrogen peroxide release energy?

Hydrogen peroxide can release energy through a chemical reaction called decomposition. This reaction breaks down the hydrogen peroxide molecule into water and oxygen, releasing energy in the form of heat and gas.

3. What are the potential uses for high energy hydrogen peroxide reactions?

High energy hydrogen peroxide reactions can be used as a propellant in rocket engines, as a source of energy in fuel cells, and as a bleaching agent in the production of paper and textiles.

4. Are there any safety concerns when working with high energy hydrogen peroxide?

Yes, high concentration hydrogen peroxide can be corrosive and can cause burns to the skin and eyes. It should be handled with caution and proper safety equipment, such as gloves and goggles, should be worn.

5. How is hydrogen peroxide produced on an industrial scale?

Hydrogen peroxide is typically produced by the anthraquinone process, which involves the oxidation of anthraquinone with hydrogen and oxygen. It can also be produced through the electrolysis of sulfuric acid or by reacting hydrogen with air or oxygen in the presence of a catalyst.