Hydrogen probably homework

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution for problem 4.14 in Griffiths' textbook, where the most probable value of r in the ground state of hydrogen is being determined. The approach involves finding the probability density by integrating over the angular coordinates and then maximizing it by taking the derivative. The purpose is to find the point at which the probability density is at its maximum. The poster also raises a question about finding the probability of a particle in a particular energy eigenstate, but it is clarified that the solution is following the proposed hint.
syang9

Homework Statement

Griffiths 4.14: What is the most probably value of r, in the ground state of hydrogen? (Hint: First you must figure out the probability that the electron would be found between r and r+dr.

Here is the posted solution:

http://www.glue.umd.edu/~syang9/problem%204.14%20solution.PNG

I don't understand the approach; why does multiplying the probability density by [tex] \[
4\pi r^2 dr\] [/tex] give the probability that the electron will be found between r and r+dr? Why do we differentiate p(r)? In general, I thought the way to find the probability of a particle being in a particular energy eigenstate was to take the inner product of the general wavefunction with the energy eigenstate..

[tex]
\[
\left| {c_n } \right|^2 = \int_{ - \infty }^\infty {\Psi ^* (\overrightarrow {\bf{r}},t) \cdot \psi (r){\rm{ }}dr}
\]
[/tex]

But the general wave function is a sum which involves [tex] c_n [/tex].. so I don't understand what governs which approach to take..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I hope this question doesn't fall into the abyss of unanswered questions, forever forgotten by all..

It takes longer to fall into the abyss of unanswered questions than two hours. Be patient. The solution is doing exactly what the hint proposes. It's finding the probability density of the wave function as a function of r by integrating over the angular coordinates. That's where the 4*pi*r^2 comes from, it's what you get from that integration together with the volume element in spherical coordinates. Then you maximize it, hence the derivative.

Last edited:
So I want to figure out at what point the probability density is a maximum; that's why I set the derivative to zero. OK, I get it, thanks!

Last edited:
(Also, yes, you are right. I will try to be more patient.)

1. What is hydrogen?

Hydrogen is a chemical element with the atomic number 1 and symbol H. It is the lightest and most abundant element in the universe.

2. Why is hydrogen important?

Hydrogen is important for many reasons, including its use in fuel cells for clean energy production, its role in the chemical industry for making fertilizers and other products, and its presence in water, which is essential for life.

3. How is hydrogen produced?

Hydrogen can be produced through various methods, including steam reforming of natural gas, electrolysis of water, and biomass gasification. It can also be produced through renewable energy sources such as solar and wind power.

4. What are the potential uses of hydrogen?

Hydrogen has many potential uses, including as a fuel for vehicles, a source of clean energy for power plants, and a raw material for industrial processes. It can also be used in fuel cells to power electronic devices and as a non-polluting alternative to fossil fuels.

5. What are the challenges facing the use of hydrogen?

Some challenges facing the use of hydrogen include high production costs, lack of infrastructure for storage and distribution, and the need for more efficient and affordable technologies for producing and using hydrogen. There are also safety concerns related to handling and storing hydrogen gas.