1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen proton

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    Hi there,
    I am learning about aspects of physics and come across a question that I have not been able to resolve. It is related to the generation of hydrogen via electrolysis and then the generation of electricity via electrons. That is, my understanding is for example, in a fuel cell the protons are transferred to a conduit to supply energy through an electrical load and then become recombined through the fuel cell chemical process.

Now if I interrupt this cycle and take the hydrogen without its proton, my first question is, will the hydrogen still "burn". Or will it be denatured in some way until the proton is restored?

My next question follows from this and is how does one replace the proton without going through the fuel cell cycle? I understand that it is possible to generate electrons via a positive anode through a connection to earth: as in a valve. Would it be possible to recombine the electrons with the hydrogen in a valve type assembly. Perhaps, this might be too naive an explanation of how one might achieve this?

Thanks for your patience with my questions.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted