1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hydrogen radial equation solution

1. Apr 20, 2017 #1
    I am going through my Quantum textbook, just reviewing the material, i.e. this isn't a homework question. We are solving the radial equation for the Hydrogen Atom, first looking at the asymptotic behavior. My issue is I am completely blanking on how to solve the differential equation:

d^2u/dp^2 = [l(l+1)/p^2]u.

The general solution is:

u(p) = Cp^(l+1) + Dp^-l.

Can someone walk me through the steps of getting to this general solution? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2017 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

With differential equations, solving them often just means guessing a solution, and then tweaking parameters to get the equations to work out.

You have the equation: [itex]\frac{d^2 u}{dp^2} = \frac{\mathcal{l}(\mathcal{l}+1)}{p^2} u[/itex].
    You guess: [itex]u = p^\alpha[/itex].

Then [itex]\frac{du}{dp} = \alpha p^{\alpha-1}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{d^2 u}{dp^2} = \alpha (\alpha -1) p^{\alpha - 2}[/itex]. Plugging this into the differential equation gives:

[itex]\alpha (\alpha - 1) p^{\alpha - 2} = \frac{\mathcal{l}(\mathcal{l} + 1)}{p^2} p^\alpha[/itex]

For the equation to be true, [itex]\alpha (\alpha - 1) = \mathcal{l} (\mathcal{l} + 1)[/itex]

So two possibilities are: [itex]\alpha = -\mathcal{l}[/itex] and [itex]\alpha = \mathcal{l} + 1[/itex]

The general solution is a linear combination of the solutions.

4. Apr 20, 2017 #3
    Ok, thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted